Massey 14 hydraulics

Greasy6020

Tractorologist
Got an idea that’s crossed my mind several times lately... best way to explain it is John Deere’s h2 hydraulic setup, with separate controls for 3 point hitch, mower deck lift.

Anyone got any good ideas on how to rig up a Massey 14 to have controls for the 3 point and mower/dozer blade lift? I’d like to have them on separate circuits so I can run a dozer blade separate from say a plow or disk on the 3 point

Thanks

With dual hydraulics you'll need 2 cylinders and rockshafts!

With dual hydraulics you'll need 2 cylinders and rockshafts!

Yup, something like that.

Massey 14 has cylinder for mower deck lift, and 3 point hitch, but on same circuit. I’d like to separate them to be independent from one another

You could install a lockout valve, I have one on my JD 316K. I run a snow blower up front with hydraulic lift and chute rotation. I also have a Brinly box blade on the rear. When I just want to lift or lower the snow blower I use the valve to lockout the the rockshaft cylinder, which is linked to the Brinly blade.

You could install a lockout valve, I have one on my JD 316K. I run a snow blower up front with hydraulic lift and chute rotation. I also have a Brinly box blade on the rear. When I just want to lift or lower the snow blower I use the valve to lockout the the rockshaft cylinder, which is linked to the Brinly blade.
The lockout valve only works on one cylinder, right? That wouldn't work here!

I saw a 14 at an auction the owner added a 2 spool valve and had the controls by the hydro lever. He had just teed off the lines by the hydro. I was thinking of doing something similar but put the valve on the fender like the 1655's. And then make a custom cover to put over the valve. Surplus center has 2 spool valves the handles can be mounted so the valve lays flat on the fender. I want to add a hose couple on the front and one in the back.

If I understood correctly, you could add a "6-way selector valve". Those have 6 ports, 2 that are for the pump, 2 for circuit A and 2 for circuit B. They are usually used to split a hydraulic circuit to use 2 implements. You choose between circuit A or B.

There are 2 "versions" of those kind of valves, manual ones with a lever that must be accessible to the user therefore it can be a pain to route all the hoses/tubes. The other models are solenoid controlled, you can install them anywhere and run a wire to a switch.

In fact it's what I want to do on my 1655, I installed the 3rd spool last year and I will install 3x 6-way selector valves to have 6 independent circuits. I will get:
- valve 1 circuit A : mid lift for mower deck
- valve 1 circuit B : front quick connect for JD quick-tatch lift (raise snowblower/blade)
- valve 2 circuit A : rear lift (3points) for misc accessories i.e. counterweight
- valve 2 circuit B : front quick connect for snowblower chute rotation
- valve 3 circuit A : front quick connect for JD quick-tatch angle (blade) AND quick connect at the rear of the tractor
- valve 3 circuit B : front quick connect for snow blower chute spout control

This is the one I plan on buying 3 of: eBay - summit-hydraulics Hydraulic : Solenoid Selector/Diverter Valve, 13 GPM, 12v DC, #8 SAE Ports. The ports are SAE #8 which is too big for our tractors (we don't need 13GPM) but I've never found any with SAE #6 which would be perfect match for the 3/8" JIC. I guess the valve would have been smaller but oh well...

The lockout valve only works on one cylinder, right? That wouldn't work here!

If oil takes the path of least resistance, you could put lockout valves on one or two of the cylinders and use that to select which cylinder the oil was going to. It would be no different than a physical lockout bar on the cylinder. Although I'm not sure if 4 high pressure ball valves would be cost effective. I suppose you could put one valve on one sde of the 3pt cylinder for example, have it so you can raise the hitch and lock it from coming back down. The cylinder being at the end of stroke on one side and being locked out via the valve on the other would force oil back to the mid lift cylinder. Just brain storming here.

You could also use a manual or 12VDC selector valve and shift flow between either of the two circuits and continue to control them with the factory spool valve.

3rd thought, It seems to me that the rear fenders on the 14/16 are quite similar to the 1450-1855 tractors. Perhaps you could use that fender with some modifications, the plastic side cover, 2 spool valve and support etc, and rig up the hoses for it. Or something like that, depends how fancy you want to get I suppose. You could continue to use the factory spool valve for mid lift and use the 2 spool valve for 3pt and a remote port at the front or back, maybe for power angle on the blade? Just a thought.

Back