Massey 1655 Three point a bit weak, drops under load.

Took me a second, but I think I get what you mean. You're saying I need to make sure the lines from the charge pump to the 3 point valve need to be looped? I think I can actually just connect the steering valve straight to the charge pump, and pull the tee's you put in when I had you add the 3 point back.

The steering valve is hooked direct to the charge pump. Some of the other connections flow the oil through the cooler in front of the steering column. The oil going through the cooler is the return line circuit.

On my loader, the return line is not rated for high pressure.
Just make sure this one is before you get a bath at high pressure

On my loader, the return line is not rated for high pressure.
Just make sure this one is before you get a bath at high pressure
Pretty sure Daniel used the same hose for return as the pressure side, but I'm actually going to replace the loader valve wth one that has a power beyond port, so the line to the 3 point will be new. I plan to run steel hydraulic tubing most of the way, then new hose to the pressure side of the 3 point valve.

Yes, the return line is not restricted, so you dump high pressure return into it...no problems there. But of course your new 3pt system return will be going into the loader system. Josh, your current loader's control valve has the pressure relief built in as I'm sure your new one does. I think, but not sure...that the loader is now set close to 750psi, possibly higher. I'm pretty sure I cranked it up a little from factory setting.

Yes, the return line is not restricted, so you dump high pressure return into it...no problems there. But of course your new 3pt system return will be going into the loader system. Josh, your current loader's control valve has the pressure relief built in as I'm sure your new one does. I think, but not sure...that the loader is now set close to 750psi, possibly higher. I'm pretty sure I cranked it up a little from factory setting.
The new valve does have a relief in it, I plan to set it at around 1000 PSI and see how that works. Every line I could find on the tractor is rted for 2400 PSI working pressure, so I feel pretty safe there! The hydraulic shop pressure tested the 3 point cylinder at 2000, so no worries with that either.

Quick question, prompted by you mentioning the relief built in to the Massey valve.... Is the relief on the valve adjusted with the screw on the fron, the one parallel to the spools/handles? If so, the one on the three point valve looks to be adjusted quite differently than the one on the loader valve! I'll check the pressure at the cylinder, and if it's low, try to adjust the relief at the three point valve. Might save a bunch of work!

Going by my poor memory, yes. The only Massey valve assembly I still have doesn't have the adjustment setup.
Thanks! Your memory has been pretty sharp on my behalf! I needed an adapter to check pressure at the cylinder, it should be here Friday and I'll look at it this weekend.

Thanks Kenny, that's the one that's on the loader, I have to pop the fender plastic to be sure about the three point, but what I can see through the slot looks the same. The setscrew on the loader valve is sticking out about 1/2", the one on the three point looks to be in further. I should be able to test pressure at the cylinder and right before the valve this weekend, so we'll know for sure.

I took the line off the cylinder, and I have 650PSI at the piston side. I put the line back on it, and now the three point lifted around 400 lbs like nothing was on it. I am going to get some more bags of sand as known weights, if it lifts the rated 650 pounds I will be happy, but confused!

The only thing I can think of is that I accidentally hit the lever before I connected the gauge and it shot a slug of fluid out the cylinder connection. Is it possible there was something stuck in the port/line that I just dislodged?

Is it possible there was something stuck in the port/line that I just dislodged?
Sure sounds like it. I blew all the lines out, but must have left something in there. Hopefully this is the last of 3 point lift issues. If I left some crud in a line, I'm sure sorry!

Sure sounds like it. I blew all the lines out, but must have left something in there. Hopefully this is the last of 3 point lift issues. If I left some crud in a line, I'm sure sorry!
Might have been a small piece of hose that came loose.

I'm thinking it's more likely some bug crawled in there in the three week that it was open, waiting for the hydraulic shop to rebuild the cylinder! It's been a great learning experience, and with my backhoe build coming up, I really needed the hydraulics lessons!
Might have been a small piece of hose that came loose.
Hmmmm, good point. I'm working on acquiring the tools to make hoses, these two might be practice cases!

Back