Modifications?

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

Was curious if anyone has made some useful/neat modifications to your tractors, implements, or other equipment that you just couldn't live without now that you did them?

Only ones I can think of that I did to my tractors were adding a 12v power point, comes in handy for portable compressors, phone chargers, ECT. I also mount a 1/2" D-ring (11,000 lb) to the hitch plates to pull stuff with a chain, never can find a good anchor point when you need one.

On heavy equipment, I added hooks to the backhoe bucket and excavator blade...though according to our regulations at work, this is a big no no, but they always just tell me not to do it again, but never tell me to remove them...moving jersey barriers by myself would be much harder without them. Another simple mod I've done (which should be factory standard) is adding bullseye levels to the backhoe and excavator.

On our backhoe, excavator, work boat, and patrol boat, I've added rearview mirrors. The backhoe has one but the backhoe itself obstructs the view, so I went to the junkyard and bought some old Ford side mirrors and put one on the backhoe and excavator since I run them on the road frequently, not pretty, but functional. I just used standard rearview mirrors on the boat windshields, usually when I'm on the lake I'm searching for something/someone and people love to sneak up on me to ask questions or direct me to a situation and if I have to back out of the throttle quick, I don't want to cause an accident.

Just simple things like that can make a job a lot easier or safer, what do you got?

Thanks,
bobcat2

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, I thought this thread would be a hit, I'm always looking for ideas it improve my equipment. I don't care what it is.

A few more I thought of, I'm putting vinyl trim around the rear of the hood so it doesn't vibrate or scuff the paint up too much. On my D-ring for the hitch plate, I'll put a small piece of adhesive soft Velcro where the D-ring hits so it doesn't vibrate or scuff up the paint. I see I already have a 2" hole behind the factory dash sticker to mount an hour gauge. I may go with an induction tach/hour meter, I'm not sure yet.

One that's on the list, but not sure if I'll do is replace the rear light with a stop/tail/turn light and put a spring actuated, normally open brake light switch on the pedal because I think it's neat to have a brake/Hazzard light but I also park on the road often to do work on the edges of my property, and I'll be on the road when I plow snow.

Then there's the box blade I rebuilt to my needs/wants. I built a yard rake/thatcher using hay rake tines. Currently modifying a Gravely snow blade to fit on both Alice and the JD316. And others that slip my mind at the moment. Most all have been documented on here or over at GTTalk.

A few little things I did to make things a little more convenient for me.

I added a 18" magnetic strip (HF) to the back of the 3 point quick hitch to hold extra pins and such while hooking/ unhooking equipment.
IMG_20200112_071022_burst_01.jpg

Also added a permanent remote plug for a trickle charger. It's just a trailer plug I wired in to the battery and also to the charger. My battery isn't the easiest to get at so this works a lot better and quicker.
IMG_20200112_071535.jpg

I added a volt gauge to my 5k generator to keep an eye on the battery voltage. It usually sits for months and months on end so at flip of a switch I can see how it's doing. Cheap little LED model and put a toogle switch for on/off. I do keep a battery minder on it but had them go bad with no idea until you want it..
IMG_20200112_071145.jpg
IMG_20200112_071153.jpg

Lets see... LED lights made from busted street lamps. Trailer light hook up (just in case). Coil cut off switch "hidden" Theft deterrent. Re-located a solenoid for easier access. Everything else pretty much stock.

Back