Mowing Etiquette

Lily'sDad

GMC, They Said
Last night, I went to bed with the intention to get up early and mow the yard before it gets too hot. Now, I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps the neighbors are still sleeping and won't be happy. What time would you start mowing? 7AM? 7:30? 8:00???

I recall when I was a kid, no one would ever mow Sunday morning. Now, I don't know if anyone cares.

With a mulching mower you need to be sure the grass is dry. I usually never get out of bed before 10:00 and if the neighbor is mowing I wouldn't hear them as I never put my hearing aids in till my wife gets up and that not may be noon.

I appreciate it of folks don't mow before 10 or so. When there is extreme heat like you are having LD, I can't blame you for wanting to do it much earlier. Sure would like to think your neighbors think the same way! I never get around to it until late morning or early afternoon.

A mowing etiquette thing that irritates me is discharge direction! All of the lots where we live are approximately 1 acre. Mine is 1.1 acres. There is an empty lot to the west of us that only gets mowed once a month or so. They always discharge onto my land and it's usually some pretty thick piles! The person on the east sometimes forgets and blows their clippings onto my gravel. I always do a couple of mulch cut laps before I discharge outward!

Rant off---LOL!

DAC

A mowing etiquette thing that irritates me is discharge direction! All of the lots where we live are approximately 1 acre. Mine is 1.1 acres. There is an empty lot to the west of us that only gets mowed once a month or so. They always discharge onto my land and it's usually some pretty thick piles! The person on the east sometimes forgets and blows their clippings onto my gravel. I always do a couple of mulch cut laps before I discharge outward!

Rant off---LOL!

DAC
And add to that the people that purposely blow grass unto the road..
Makes the front of their house sooo attractive.
Not to mention the safety aspect of it..

cutting wet grass is so much harder on the blades and deck in general I think its foolish..... if your shoes get wet walking across the lawn I dont recommend mowing.
I remember coming home from work one day, raining cats and dogs, windshield wipers on as fast as they would go and passed a lawn mowing outfit at a Bank just a mowing away...couldn't tell if they were mowing water or grass...
Talk about getting a wet a88....

I remember coming home from work one day, raining cats and dogs, windshield wipers on as fast as they would go and passed a lawn mowing outfit at a Bank just a mowing away...couldn't tell if they were mowing water or grass...
Talk about getting a wet a88....
Rain, snow, sleet, or hale it’s money in the bank for them guys.

And add to that the people that purposely blow grass unto the road..
Makes the front of their house sooo attractive.
Not to mention the safety aspect of it..
Yeah Bill that still is discharging out like I was saying. It is very dangerous for bikers to hit grass on the road. Pretty much like ice to a car. When I cut the ditch out front of our place it always get's discharged into the ditch. Many folks on our road blow it right on the road though.

DAC

I have to mow a drainage ditch in front of our house. I have to make 4- 375 ft trips with a push mower to the point where I can cut with a tractor to keep the cuttings in the yard. A few miles down the road a guy actually throws so much on the road you can’t see half the lane. I went through that one day in Carol’s Jeep Grand Cherokee and I drifted so bad I had to correct it to stay out of the ditch.

In Illinois the law says no operating of yard macinery before 8 am monday - friday and 9 am on the weekends. This law also limits to 9 pm. I have seen a few neighbors cutting grass as early as 7 but noone seems to mind up here in the rockford area. If you are in dekalb, they may be a little more criticle of the law due to the college.

Back