New Echo Weed Eater

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I’ve had my Echo 210 for about 11 years bought it used then. It was hard starting then a few months ago it just wouldn’t start. At that point along with the month I had I didn’t even work on it. Like most I don’t normally buy new but sometimes I get tired of working on things.

I wanted the 225 but really liked the feel of the 2620. This thing is a beast. My 210 served me very well even with a brush blade but for not much more I think I got a lot more.

The funny thing is this was a few months ago and several times going in my shop my 210 sitting in the to do list corner was like hey you I’m sick can you make me well again. I got it out, changed the filter, primer bulb, hoses, and spark plug third pull it started right up as usual. So I graduated it to brush cutting only now which is not much but will keep the ole girl feeling needed.2D49EBCB-F7C8-43CB-B930-F2A73A5ED8FF.jpeg

I usually stay with the brand name equipment. Stihl is the brand I have and get great service out of. Chain saws, line trimmers, hedge trimmer, etc. I do have one Poulan pole saw I bought strictly because it was lighter weight than the others.

Yeah I too have a pair of echo weed eaters. Been very good to me. One needs some attention now, could be gotten to run but I have just demoted it to parts status should my other one (a twin, same model, I believe they are srm225) need anything to keep it alive.
Especially since my son bought me a brand new one a couple of years ago, that one is a stihl.

Before the echos I was going thru 3 lesser brands of weed eaters every 2 years. Weed eater brand, mccolluch, Sears, etc. The 1st echo I got new over 15 years ago, the other one I got cheap at an auction about 6-7 years ago. I'm not even sure which one of those I still use occasionally and which one is now the parts machine. They're that identical.

I will say this about these tools
I will NEVER AGAIN own a curved shaft version. I didn't seem to mind them til I got the 1st echo. I like the straight shaft so much better.

I have 2 Echo SRM 210's I rescued from the dump several yrs ago. I keep the one for parts because it acted like it had a bad crank seal. The other is my go to. A couple of yrs ago it started getting hard to start so I ordered a $15 carb from amazon and it's run quite well ever since. No more 2 stroke carb kits for me, they cost as much as a carb and, for me, no guarantee it will fix the problem!!

I have replaced carb 2x on my Echo polesaw, I think I used it exactly once on 1st replacement carb,,,,,which was about 2-3 years ago. just put carb #2 on, have yet to put gas into it. gonna have to before the leaves fall though.... while the leaves are weighing branches down that need cut....

I have replaced carb 2x on my Echo polesaw, I think I used it exactly once on 1st replacement carb,,,,,which was about 2-3 years ago. just put carb #2 on, have yet to put gas into it. gonna have to before the leaves fall though.... while the leaves are weighing branches down that need cut....
And did you empty the tank and run the carb dry before you put it away??

Most of my customers have echo so I do work on echo more and it usually user error by putting bad gas in them. The Stihl i have worked on was lot of times clogged mufflers and I believe it was from there oils they push at the dealers because all of them used that oil. Don't tell my dealer friends because they swear by it.

And did you empty the tank and run the carb dry before you put it away??
I don't know if it was drained or not, especially since my kid has a house of his own and my stuff seems to disappear mysteriously from my garage and shed, strangely just when I go to use it, and reappears when it's the last thing on my mind
I haven't gone to use it in a while, and he came and got it and all of a sudden I get a call saying that it won't run.
All I could say is that it worked fine the last time I used it

The only engine I run the carb dry on is the old Briggs on the wood spliter. Everything else just gets the gas line shut off. Thanks ethanol w/ Sta-Bil. Yep, you woke the bear again. ;)

Last edited:
I have a El Cheepo Homelite I paid 69.00 for in 1991 when I purchased our house. It wont die. I have never done any kind of service to it. Never drained the fuel or changed the plug. Starts on the 3rd pull still. Just like they day I got it.

Back