New manifold for the Ford 9N

cjet69

Tractorologist
We bought a new manifold a while back and Dad decided he would get it mounted up. The last time we tried to run this tractor we found the carb was gummed up and had some rust in the bowl. After cleaning up the carb it was time to start it up. Not a POP out of it. Checked spark and found zip so now we pulled the distributor off. We got new points, condenser, cap, and rotor from a local supplier yesterday. Hopefully today we can get the parts installed and try for startup again.

GOPR0666-m.JPG

Here is a pic of the Distributor out on the work bench. These can be a pain to work on since they are mounted on the front of the block.

View attachment 33824View attachment 33825
Yep those front mount distributors can be difficult. On mine add the interference of a front loader and a hydraulic pump driven of the front of the engine it is a nightmare. How much does that manifold cost. I have a broken exhaust on mine that I have been running puttied shut with stove cement for several years.
Don

Yep those front mount distributors can be difficult. On mine add the interference of a front loader and a hydraulic pump driven of the front of the engine it is a nightmare. How much does that manifold cost. I have a broken exhaust on mine that I have been running puttied shut with stove cement for several years.
Don

We got it from Steiner tractor parts for around $89.95 and $5.99 for gaskets. Our manifold was broken on the front port.

GOPR0667-m.JPG

That's why you pull the distributor out and do all your point setting and timing on the bench.
Don
I figured you could static time it out, but wouldn't you need to put it on timing light to adjust for gear lash? Of course just turning distributor slightly isn't difficult.

I figured you could static time it out, but wouldn't you need to put it on timing light to adjust for gear lash? Of course just turning distributor slightly isn't difficult.
No timing marks for a light. static time is all you get. The distributor doesn't turn more that the slop in the bolt holes. The plate in the distributor that carries the points has a clamping screw and can be turned slightly to vary timing but it is mostly point gap. I have heard that Fords plan was to build a tractor the farmer could rebuild in the field with minimal tools. The most exotic thing I needed when I rebuilt mine was a tool for driving in the new sleeves. I also used a valve seat grinder but could have avoided that by replacing the seats. then just lapping in the new valves.
Don

At least it wasn't the murder hornets that were reported in your area---LOL! WD40 is good for them, relaxes them permanently! Fun thread! It's always a good feeling to take an old machine and make it run right!

DAC

Back