New motor for the Table Saw

cjet69

Tractorologist
This is our beat up motor that FedEx delivered. We pulled the capacitor covers and found no damage to them. I used a large socket to work the dents out of the covers and got them installed. Dad wired it for the correct rotation and plugged it in. It sounds good so we mounted it up on the old $25 Table saw. It is replacing a 1.0 hp 1725 rpm motor. The new motor is 1.5 hp 3450 rpm. The saw cuts a lot better now.

100_3870-m.JPG100_3894-m.JPG100_3895-m.JPG100_3896-m.JPGGOPR2102-m.JPGGOPR2103-m.JPG

If you ever change belts get a Web belt. It will purr like a kitten. Nice job fixing the motor. I would still try to get a replacement and tell them you want a return label. Sometimes if they think your item is damaged bad instead of paying shipping three times they will tell you to keep the damaged one and still send you a new one.

If you ever change belts get a Web belt. It will purr like a kitten. Nice job fixing the motor. I would still try to get a replacement and tell them you want a return label. Sometimes if they think your item is damaged bad instead of paying shipping three times they will tell you to keep the damaged one and still send you a new one.
We are in contact with them and they wanted to know if the motor still worked. We are working on a settlement of some sort. After all we paid for an undamaged motor so they should do something for us. Now we have repair time into it and should be compensated. We were/are hoping to get another motor or at least some new capacitor covers. It would be nice to get a new motor and be able to keep this one also because we have a jointer that needs a motor if we can repair a casting for it.

I remember my dad playing with pulley ratios on the 1st table saw I remember him having when I was a kid, it was a '50s craftsman 8".
When I was in Jr high he bought a new craftsman 10" back around 1980-ish. I have had a couple of these over the years, I tend to buy one via CL when I have a need for one then sell it again, then buy another when I have something else going. They just take up too much space in between.
Most table saws I have experience with have had 1725 rpm motors.
I remember replacing a motor once in an old air compressor I had years ago. Originally a 1725 rpm 3 hp, I got a deal on a 5 hp 3450 motor
I thought it would get me better air volume.
Compressor was one of the original 2 stage vertical champion brand compressors from the 50s.
All it did was start get louder, hotter, and started pumping oil into the tank, (air discharge was always a mist of oily moisture after the motor swap) and the bits of (mostly sawdust) in the cooling fins on the outlet tubes started glowing red, like when a campfire is all but burnt out. It didn't do this with the original motor in place.
I don't know where it came from before I got it from an auction , but those fins were oily and dusty the whole time I had it. I tried at one time to clean up those cooling fins with aerosol carb cleaner (Gumout, etc) brake clean, and other stuff// but that oily residue did not want to let go. The 5 hp was ok, but the 2x RPM was a mistake.
At one point I measured the motor pulley and went up by 50% in diameter which split the difference in rpm between the original configuration and the speed of the compressor with the new motor which helped but not enough.

On a table saw isn't there a critical speed that the blades aren't supposed to exceed before bad things start happening to the blade, like on a grinding wheel?

Just to be sure I went out and checked our 10" Radial Arm Saw. It has a 3450 motor with the blade mounted directly on the motor. Our table saw has the same size pulley on both motor and mandrel so no RPM change. I also checked max speed ratings on new blades and found they range between 6000/7000 so I should be good to go. Never hurts to double check.

Back