New Spray Bombs

"Rust-Oleum® Custom Spray 5-in-1 a New Spray Paint Technology Providing Precision & Control. The Dawn of a New Spray is Here by Rust-Oleum®. Shop the Custom Spray 5-in-1 Today. Ultimate Control. Superior Coverage. Paint With Confidence. Paint & Primer in One. Features: High Output, Low Output, Vertical Fan."

Have no idea haven't use that particular type yet. Though at $7 something a can is cheaper than we are around here at $8-10 for the old style and not even the Rust-Oleum brand.

I bought a spray adapter many moons ago, works great with the old style spray nozzles, doesn't fit the new style. Offers great control, and prevents finger fatigue on larger painting projects.

Attachments

• Untitled6.jpg
    Untitled6.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1
  • Untitled7.jpg
    Untitled7.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
I hope your success is better than mine with those new cans. Had one that leaked all over the place. Finally got one of the nozzles to seal right but by that time I had drips all over what I was painting and my hand didn't look good either.
Unneeded gimmick if you ask me. :mad:

I hope your success is better than mine with those new cans. Had one that leaked all over the place. Finally got one of the nozzles to seal right but by that time I had drips all over what I was painting and my hand didn't look good either.
Unneeded gimmick if you ask me. :mad:
I don’t intend to buy them unless I have to. I had one of the older nozzles leak all over like you mentioned. I had to wrap a rag around it to keep it from pouring out. This is four cans I have now that need to go back. The others nothing comes out at all, all from Walmart.

Well guys I was forced to buy one of these new paint cans at Menards. Walmarts stock is out and delayed of the color I need. It was actually on sale for $6.69 and I’m impressed. The fan spray option lays down a lot of paint which is good for flat surfaces. I like the #3 option that is “ low output”. This works great for small hard to reach areas without wasting a lot of paint. The label also says it’s now 30% more corrosion resistance and color retention.

I’ve gone through three cans of the other style plus this new can for small parts. I bought a quart of the same paint for the frame, hood, side panels, and fender pan. I never realized it was oil based which I’ve never used on metal before. So if you have any suggestions please let me know. I know about knocking it down with thinners but not experienced with hardeners.

Attachments

• 679F0AE3-E4D6-47A5-9A1F-4424C8E9BC89.jpeg
    679F0AE3-E4D6-47A5-9A1F-4424C8E9BC89.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 82F320F1-439F-480F-A829-4AAE4C8F4BA6.jpeg
    82F320F1-439F-480F-A829-4AAE4C8F4BA6.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 3
Over the years I've use a lot of Rustoleum products. To thin I use Mineral spirits and clean up. On the last project using a low pressure high volume sprayer I tried using it straight out of the can and it worked perfect. Don't think I'll ever thin it again it worked so nice.
Glad to hear your new style cans worked good. One that I had left everything a mess as it leaked. Did you notice if there was a price difference between cans with the old and new style nozzles?

Over the years I've use a lot of Rustoleum products. To thin I use Mineral spirits and clean up. On the last project using a low pressure high volume sprayer I tried using it straight out of the can and it worked perfect. Don't think I'll ever thin it again it worked so nice.
Glad to hear your new style cans worked good. One that I had left everything a mess as it leaked. Did you notice if there was a price difference between cans with the old and new style nozzles?
Yeah the new cans are about .96 more than the old ones that are $6.89. These were on sale at $6.69 until tomorrow. I didn’t know it or I would have bought more. The regular price of the new cans are $7.85. which is worth it I guess especially if the formula is much better.

Does that quart say it requires hardener, Jim? If not I wouldn't worry about it. You can use a hardener, but if you give enough drying time, it will be fine just following the instructions. I would try a little first not thinned like Chris suggested. Especially if you can sit the can out in the sun and get it hot first and spray it while warm. I used to do that with oil based sign enamels. Even used a hot plate to warm the paint up enough where you could see it start to move and flow around a bit. There was no need to thin that way. A lot of modern paints are thinner than they used to be so a person may not have to thin.

DAC

You guys are right on about no need to thin with most oil based paints. I haven’t opened it yet. Most of what I have read since my post was oil base is much more durable and thinner. I’ll start off by spraying the inside of the frame and see how that works out. If things go well next phase I’ll have all of the body panels ready to paint. I like to paint as much as I can once I start because I hate cleaning a gun.

Back