New to me JcPenny GT aka MTD990

Mark 149 J.

Tractorologist
I traveled 30 mins away to buy this tractor today. It came with the deck but it's missing the 3 point arms. The deck works but the shafts sounds like they need some attention. Left front tire doesn't hold air well so I will try and find a tube for it. The rest of the tires are in great shape. It runs good and strong with no smoke. The original owner couldn't get it running so he let it sit outside for a very long time. The brake pedal doesn't move very freely and the seat is toast. The head light switch is broken but he also installed a rear light with it's own switch. The steering is very tight and in need to lubrication. It drove it own and off the trail but when I went to start it back up to put it inside the shop nothing happened. Will have to figure all of this out in due time.
I'm really excited about this one and I've been looking for one just like it for a while. I know some people don't like the Yellow with black racing stripes that these came with but I love them. The paint in in very good condition so I can't wait to see how it will clean up. It cost me $350. I think it was a steal at that price!
Here are some pictures
20180821_184340.jpg20180821_184347.jpg20180821_184355.jpg20180821_184407.jpg20180821_184419.jpg20180821_184432.jpg20180821_184519.jpg20180821_184529.jpg20180821_193416.jpg20180821_193428.jpg

Nice purchase! I had a red version years ago. Shame this one was in the weather so long, but everything seems to look pretty straight on it.

Nice purchase! I had a red version years ago. Shame this one was in the weather so long, but everything seems to look pretty straight on it.
Thanks!
The body is in really good condition. I want to clean up the paint and see how much she will shine!

Nice find. Mtd 990 is on my list one day
Thanks!
This is my second one. The first one is not a runner and missing lots of parts. It will be a donor for this one.

Steal of a deal for $350. Looks to still be in decent shape.

jhn9840
John
Yep! I was happy with the price and the fact that it is a JcPenny model. You don't see them around here very much.

Great find! For a very long time I thought the JCP tractors were unsightly, but at some point, my mind changed! I picked up a Simplicity variety this spring...it had been on my list for a while. I really dig the color scheme of these now and love what you found. that looks to be a very nice machine!

Great find! For a very long time I thought the JCP tractors were unsightly, but at some point, my mind changed! I picked up a Simplicity variety this spring...it had been on my list for a while. I really dig the color scheme of these now and love what you found. that looks to be a very nice machine!
That's what I kind of thought as well! I also like the simplicity ones as well but there is something about the big MTD 990 that always draws me in.

I did some work on the newest GT today. I bought a new air filter, changed the engine oil, and tightened up some of the steering linkage.
The oil smelled really bad so I'm sure it liked the new Rotella 30 that I replaced it with. Found out why it quit running last night. The neg. battery cable fell off. Made sure the + and - were tight and she fired right up. I love the way this engine runs! Nice and smooth with no hiccups. It sounds very different from the Kohlers that I'm used to
I greased the steering knuckles and found out that one side is missing a zerk so I will have to pick some up. The center bolt for the front axle needed grease and tightening. Tightened up the loose tie rod and steering rod making it more responsive. Still need figure out how to lube up the steering gears.
20180822_164339.jpg20180822_164345.jpg20180822_164358.jpg
Looks like someone bypassed the safety switches and did a poor job with the wiring.
20180822_164423.jpg20180822_164423.jpg
Played with the paint for a little. It's not great but it will cleaned up a bit.
20180822_171222.jpg20180822_171230.jpg20180822_171233.jpg
Look at those black racing stripes on the rear fenders! I won't win any races but they look cool!
20180822_172109.jpg20180822_172117.jpg

What a gem that looks great. You got the three lug front wheels, belt guard, a nice dash box & tool box. My wiring looked like a cross eyed monkey wired it. I just rewired the whole tractor with factory colors & all the safety switches. I have a copy of the dimensions for the three point hitch. I have my metal but haven't took the time to build it. That's a good candidate to leave original. Congrats!

Hi Mark 149 J. you got a nice tractor they are a brute of a GT I never knew that JC Penny's sold that model like wise they are rare around here in MN also Your right that big B&S is a nice running engine with gobs of power and torque and they do like gas. You mention the wiring I am amazed how people cut and splice and run wire helter skelter and in end up with a barely workable situation. I'm a believer in most saftey switches

Hi Mark 149 J. you got a nice tractor they are a brute of a GT I never knew that JC Penny's sold that model like wise they are rare around here in MN also Your right that big B&S is a nice running engine with gobs of power and torque and they do like gas. You mention the wiring I am amazed how people cut and splice and run wire helter skelter and in end up with a barely workable situation. I'm a believer in most saftey switches
Thanks GB!
I have another 990 that is a parts tractor and I think the biggest reason why it quit running because somebody hacked the wiring. A lot of the insulation has melted and nobody tried to fix it so they started taking off some of the parts. I've already taken off the seat and the high/low trans shifter nob.

I'm willing to bet JCP spec'd the paint used on these, and that it is the same as the paint on mine. Mine did not look spectacular when I got it, but I use Meguiars 105 cutting compound on my machines, and it really bought out the color on my JCP. I am more than thrilled with it now. It took out the oxidation and surface rust quickly.

For some reason, the black paint on the Simplicity JCP's always has rust. The Simplicity, Homelite and Allis branded machines do not. This JCP actually has the niecest black paint I have seen on one, with the exception of the dash plate.
Simplicity built JCPenney 494 (1).JPGSimplicity built JCPenney 494.JPG

Attachments

• Simplicity built JCPenney 494 (2).JPG
    Simplicity built JCPenney 494 (2).JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 2
Looks good! Same paint color and scheme and they also listed the CC's of the engine. I find that kind of odd when no other GT's had that. What year is yours? I'm assuming Jc's changed to simplicity later own.

Congrats Mark. Welcome to the 990 owners club. I have an MTD 990. Its a little rougher and older than your JCP.

How's the weather over there? Its been really smokey here until today. Finally clearing out.

Attachments

• 100_3286 (Large).JPG
    100_3286 (Large).JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 6
Congrats Mark. Welcome to the 990 owners club. I have an MTD 990. Its a little rougher and older than your JCP.

My understanding about the years of these MTDs was that the 14hp were 1970-71....15hp was 1972....and after that was 16hp.

Also, thanks for posting that picture....I have been told that my starter was wrong as it doesnt line up with the bump. I see yours is the same starter as mine with the regulator mounted on top. Also, does your starter gear drive pull in instead of popping out as mine does?

IMG_0297.jpg

Back