New to me JUNK!

MFDAC

Tractorologist
It wasn't a good day to be at work as I missed visits from 2 old friends, one from Minnesota. I lettered a lot of race cars for those guys. Neither of them knew the other visited too!

First I dug this light tripod out of the scrap trailer at work and brought home. Lights don't work but I'll put others on it. I like it can telescope up over my head.
DSCN4108.JPG

The friend from Minnesota left this little piece of automotive art he made out of a valve and pieces of timing chain. A Dale Earnhardt memorial.
DSCN4111.JPG

The other friend dropped off stuff he cleaned out of his shop from the racing days. I was on his pit crew for 17 years. Might be able to use a lot of it. Use other stuff for trading stock.
DSCN4107.JPG

DAC

What is the tranny out of?
New avatar, Rad! Nice looking tractor!

The tranny is a Saginaw 3 speed. Could be out of most any GM vehicle that ran a 3 speed. Probably from the 1960's, maybe 1970's too. We ran them in some of the modifieds as we could run 3rd here on the half mile, and second on the quarter mile in Gillette, Wyo. Didn't have to change the 5:14 rear end gears then.

DAC

Before I gave it up a lot of Pro Streets and Modifieds were running automatics. Could pick them up a lot cheaper and NASCAR approved of them.
Most street stock sanctioning bodies like WISSOTA and IMCA have a rule that they have to run a stock automatic. They don't in modifieds and manual type transmissions are the best option for the fast revving cars. The old 3 speed like the one pictured has long-since gone by the wayside too as aftermarket ones have become legal. Back in the 1980's we ran superstock cars with aluminum cased powerglides. No torque converter, just flex-plate ring gear for the starter and a crankshaft adapter to turn the pump in the transmission. The valve bodies were modified so there was a ball valve plumbed into it. Start the car, give the engine some rpms and open the valve. It would take off like dumping the clutch in a manual. Those went by the wayside too as supplies of aluminum powerglides dwindled.

DAC

I had a 78 GMC van and the original tranny was a tremec (sp) ,made by ford, that the 2nd-3rd shift fork wore down to where I couldn't get into 3rd. Should have had it brazed up but I found another 3 speed.

One guy I worked with was using an aluminum 4 speed in his modified.

We was more restrictive with the cast iron head and specific top and bottom carb throat sizes. Seized more than one carb that was bit over size. Some was done by having them reconditioned and glass beaded. Would seize them and send them to NASCAR. They would verify the carb was illegal or not. If it was illegal it was destroyed, if not returned to the driver ( which never happened).

I had a 78 GMC van and the original tranny was a tremec (sp) ,made by ford, that the 2nd-3rd shift fork wore down to where I couldn't get into 3rd. Should have had it brazed up but I found another 3 speed.

One guy I worked with was using an aluminum 4 speed in his modified.
I think I know what you mean, Tremec like you spelled it Rad. They are building 5 speeds that are very popular with hot rodders. Think they are an independent company from the auto makers. Possibly contracted to them or way back then, Ford may have owned it.
The aluminum case 4 speed Muncies, M21 and M22 and the Borg-Warner T-10 were pretty expensive. In classes that required a stock transmission they got used quite a bit. You could always tell a circle track one. At least one ear has always been welded back on. We ran a M22 for a couple years but after breaking the bell housing mount ears off 2 or 3 times we went to the converterless powerglide. Later on we figured out that we could buy a lot of Saginaw 3 speeds for the cost of one automatic or the aluminum 4 speed. Muncie made a 3 speed too, but it was heavier than the Saginaw.

We was more restrictive with the cast iron head and specific top and bottom carb throat sizes. Seized more than one carb that was bit over size. Some was done by having them reconditioned and glass beaded. Would seize them and send them to NASCAR. They would verify the carb was illegal or not. If it was illegal it was destroyed, if not returned to the driver ( which never happened).
Wissota and IMCA have similar rules on carbs and heads too. One year, we were NASCAR. I have a point championship trophy to prove it---LOL!
The Owner/driver gave it to me at the season end banquet. I was on his crew for 11 years at that time.
DSCN4138.JPG

DAC

Back