New to me MF12G

mac102004

Tractorologist
Well, this 12G came up on Kijiji and I had to grab it. Couldn’t see much in the ad pics but I seen wheel weights and a sleeve hitch so I knew it was worth the trip. 4 hours there 4 hours back home. Paid $300 for the tractor did not beat the owner down. Old man that owned it passed away and his widow was selling it, maybe a weakness but I can’t beat people down in that situation. Don’t know the year of it yet, have to try and get the paint off the serial tag. Has the previously mentioned sleeve hitch and wheel weights, as well as chains, a front plow guide bracket, and the deluxe muffler, which is shot but the shield is good. Tractor doesn’t run, she said that the old man was going to take it apart and rebuild the engine but never got around to it, so that requires further information.

The steering wheel on this, it’s the same as the 14/16, was this correct for the late model 12G’s? I’ll probably pull the cap out which is mint and use it on my 1650 restoration project.

That’s all for now here is some pics...

Attachments

• 3213AD91-8F3E-4542-A4D4-EB94007E8032.jpeg
    3213AD91-8F3E-4542-A4D4-EB94007E8032.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 27
  • 5AF459F1-E4CE-44CE-83E2-2329A0BB8433.jpeg
    5AF459F1-E4CE-44CE-83E2-2329A0BB8433.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 7FDAED47-1DC8-4C66-8C04-26073220F594.jpeg
    7FDAED47-1DC8-4C66-8C04-26073220F594.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 02891128-3B22-41E7-B791-8E66B58F906B.jpeg
    02891128-3B22-41E7-B791-8E66B58F906B.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 29
  • FBA7BC44-EF05-498D-8071-4B55CEDFECC7.jpeg
    FBA7BC44-EF05-498D-8071-4B55CEDFECC7.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 790DF0D6-8FA8-4BAD-BB33-8631598C28FA.jpeg
    790DF0D6-8FA8-4BAD-BB33-8631598C28FA.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 26
Checked the serial tag after I cleaned all the paint off it. Turns out it’s a ‘74. Still wondering about the steering wheel on these though if it’s correct or not? I’ll check AGCO Parts Books later

I figured out steering wheel. It's correct for tractor. Starting at S/N 1446810208 they switched to the newer style wheel. This tractor is 1446810236.

Sorry I missed your post. Good job on scoring this tractor, and I too don't think it's a weakness not beating the widow down on the price!

That tractor is very similar to my '75 MF12G when I got it-minus the sleeve hitch you made me jealous about! I have noticed a lot of the older ones have a shield from the rear of the foot boards to the front of the rear fenders. Yours is the first one I've seen like mine, no shields and no evidence any where ever there. My steering wheel looks the same too except mine broke the steel spokes inside the rubbery coating. One had been trimmed and welded back up by the P.O. when I got it and I had to give the other two the same treatment at one point several years ago.

Thanks for posting this 12G!

DAC

Sorry I missed your post. Good job on scoring this tractor, and I too don't think it's a weakness not beating the widow down on the price!

That tractor is very similar to my '75 MF12G when I got it-minus the sleeve hitch you made me jealous about! I have noticed a lot of the older ones have a shield from the rear of the foot boards to the front of the rear fenders. Yours is the first one I've seen like mine, no shields and no evidence any where ever there. My steering wheel looks the same too except mine broke the steel spokes inside the rubbery coating. One had been trimmed and welded back up by the P.O. when I got it and I had to give the other two the same treatment at one point several years ago.

Thanks for posting this 12G!

DAC

Yeah those shields, looking at the left side in the pics you can see the line on the foot boards where the shield had been, at least that's what it looks like to me. I have a spare set from a 1966 MF10 parts tractor I have, I'll probably put those on it. It's also missing the cover plate under the dash, I bent the one on the parts tractor taking it off months ago, I guess I'll have to try and straighten it now lol.

Yeah those shields, looking at the left side in the pics you can see the line on the foot boards where the shield had been, at least that's what it looks like to me. I have a spare set from a 1966 MF10 parts tractor I have, I'll probably put those on it. It's also missing the cover plate under the dash, I bent the one on the parts tractor taking it off months ago, I guess I'll have to try and straighten it now lol.

Yeah I see the lines now. Looks like mine is still the only one that never had any! Sounds like you have an inventory of spare parts so it shouldn't be hard for you to make things more complete on it. At least you hung on the the bent cover plate! Looks like that plate in front of the lift lever is gone too. Mine was as well but the previous owner had put it in the storage under the seat so one time when I had the sheet metal off I spot welded it back on for the heck of it.

DAC

Been tinkering on this tractor a little bit today. Trying to get it to run so I can plough my garden lol Luckily it's pretty much soaked so I have time....

Anyway. Hooked a battery to it, it turns over and has spark. Put a brand new carb (Kohler K161 knockoff) on it, still doesn't start. Thinking maybe flywheel key. Find out this afternoon.

Well, it runs. Not sure what was the issue before, I popped the flywheel off and seen no issue there, squired some carb cleaner in the carb intake and she fired on that. Hooked a fuel line to it and a temporary tank and I purrs like a kitten. I’ll have to change the battery cables, fix up a more permanent fuel supply, probably going to take off the deluxe muffler and put a regular one on it, reattach the engine shields: should be ready to plough as soon as it dries up some.

That’s a great find! I’ve always liked the look of the MF, but I don’t think we have too many in our area. I don’t recal if I have ever even seen one.

That’s a great find! I’ve always liked the look of the MF, but I don’t think we have too many in our area. I don’t recal if I have ever even seen one.

Thanks. It's funny how each area is different. This one never went far from where it was sold new. The dealer sticker is still on the hood and the dealer is still in business, it was about 20mins from where I picked up the tractor. Now down where I live about 4 hours further east, they are not quite as common. I've been buying them for 9 years now and I've only ever bought 1 locally, might have only seen a hand full come up for sale that I can remember.

Thanks. It's funny how each area is different. This one never went far from where it was sold new. The dealer sticker is still on the hood and the dealer is still in business, it was about 20mins from where I picked up the tractor. Now down where I live about 4 hours further east, they are not quite as common. I've been buying them for 9 years now and I've only ever bought 1 locally, might have only seen a hand full come up for sale that I can remember.
That’s pretty cool, I like seeing old tools made not too far. Schrade had a factory in Walden Ny, which isn’t about 10 minutes from me. I know a guy who has a collection of Walden made knives he has gotten at yard sales. As for tractors. We seem to have a lot of cubs and wheel horses. Also, you could buy a different 8n every time you ran out of gas around here.

Very nice find. I don't haggle a lot of people for various reasons especially if I know I'm getting a good deal. Your plastic nose trim looks good too. I have a 1968 12H waiting for reassembly. Its all been blasted, primed, & stored in boxes for a few years. I think I heard the muffler shields had something to do with the e size of the gas tank. Mine has the long tank but no indication it ever had a shield. My 12 was in bad shape but ran great. I love most all GT's but there's something about the color & design of the massey's that stand out more than most others. Congrats on a good find & a gentleman's good deed.

I wish I could find a good deluxe muffler now that I have the heat shield. I should have bought one a few years ago when there was repro stainless versions available I guess.

. Paid $300 for the tractor did not beat the owner down. Old man that owned it passed away and his widow was selling it, maybe a weakness but I can’t beat people down in that situation.

You were being a decent human, I like your thinking.

As for the MF, I don't know much about them, and yet I like them. That looks like a real bargain, and I thought it was a bargain before I read you were able to get it started, well worth a 4 hour drive.

Back