O holy crap I I think I burnt my eyebrows off/wiring on roper rt16

Does the amp meter need to be hooked up for battery to charge?

Been coming to a basically dead battery any time I try to bark up the roper...
Yes. Charging current goes through the amp meter. Amp meter is connected in series, Volt meter in parallel to the battery. Either or both can be used.

Yes. Charging current goes through the amp meter. Amp meter is connected in series, Volt meter in parallel to the battery. Either or both can be used.

Can you dumb that down a bit? Not the best with electrical

Your amp meter is carrying the full load (current) of the electrical system. The volt meter is carrying no load and just monitoring the voltage of your system.
A simple comparison.
Amps = the amount (gallons per minute) of water coming out of the hose.
Voltage = the pressure of the water.

Using a generic diagram, you can see the battery at the top, the Big red wire goes to the solonoid to provide power for the starter. A small red wire goes to a fuse, then the amp meter. From the amp meter to the (B) terminal on the key switch. When the switch in in the "run" position the (B) terminal is connected to the (A1) terminal. Follow the red wire from the A1 terminal and you see it connected to the regulator. So when the engine is running the regulator is putting out charge current that goes to the A1 terminal which is connected to the B terminal, through the amp meter, then the fuse and fillaly arrives at the + side of the battery.

Attachments

• 0 wire.jpg
    0 wire.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 10
the hour meter is connected the same way as a volt meter would be connected. It should ve on the A1 side of the switch to prevent draining the battery.

Back