Old tiller going

I give up on those old front tine jobs... my back made me do so. I have a couple of Mantis ones for trim like along the fence and such, but for much more than that, I now have a PTO driven tiller on the back of an Ariens GT. I had a Sears SS14 with a self powered tiller off of a 3 point 20 years ago but sold it when I moved here... didn't want to haul it even though I am only 6 miles from where I lived then...
I miss my TB Horse that got stolen from me. 2 years ago I knew where there were 2 that needed engines, both with the head left off long enough to rust the cylinders badly... I have an 8hp Kohler Magnum that would be perfect for one of those tillers, now, sitting here... wonder if I could mount a K321 or a K341 onto a TB Horse.... got them sittin here too...that would be like the guy that put the 500 CID Cadillac engine in a Chevette in Hot rod Magazine several years ago...…
Had a TB Pony for a short time, it bucked and bounced worse than the front tine jobs... so it went. I ran the Ariens with the tiller this past weekend on dry hard packed concrete-hard dirt, and I could feel the tractor taking a beating....and it outweighs me by at least 3X.... Id rather let the tractor take the beating than for me to take it any more... chewed up the bare spots in my yard so I could reseed, and ate up some crabgrass with it, that survived the spray job that I did on the yard a few weeks ago.... (killed about 1/2 of it)
Back when I was a teenager a neighbor had a yellow Sears 8hp tiller, one of the 1st counter rotating tine tilers I had ever seen, that thing would flat out DIG and wouldn't beat up the operator in the process. It was the same baby $#!t yellow as the Sears SS machines of the mid and late 70s. It may still be sittin in the shed 2 doors down from my Mom's. That guy split his yard in half... back half was all garden.

Back