One More Kohler to go

MNGB

Tractorologist
This is a K301 12 hp engine came out of a Simplicity I bought for parts a couple of years ago, its been sitting in the shop waiting patiently, so today was the day got it up on the operating table and bolted it down, tomorrow will do some checking see if it will make sparkies needs a starter installed and ignition coil and need to fabricate a governor to carb link so that should keep me busy for a week or so

20230202_150051.jpg20230202_150100.jpg20230202_150107.jpg

This is a K301 12 hp engine came out of a Simplicity I bought for parts a couple of years ago, its been sitting in the shop waiting patiently, so today was the day got it up on the operating table and bolted it down, tomorrow will do some checking see if it will make sparkies needs a starter installed and ignition coil and need to fabricate a governor to carb link so that should keep me busy for a week or so

View attachment 65036View attachment 65037View attachment 65038
I'd screw up and get it all done tomorrow!

I'd screw up and get it all done tomorrow!
Well Kenny it is running but it far from all done, carb need work looks like the needle seat is leaking and it needs tuning,. Had a time with getting consistent sparkies filed the points cleaned them removed them could not find anything wrong reinstalled same deal double checked all the wires all good check for 12 VDC all ok tried starting the engine would get a couple of fires then nothing then a fire or two then nothing finally the light came on try a new coil, installed a new coil pushed the starter button and it was running far from perfect but it sat and idled and leaked gas out the carb but stayed running till I flipped the ignition switch to off

You don't make any mention of the condenser, I'd borrow one from one that you know runs good and see what it does. I had a couple of condensers bite me this past summer and give me fits figuring out why things wouldn't run or at least not right.
One was a cast iron Briggs on my air compressor, the other was in a 390 in a neighbor's 70 F100.

You don't make any mention of the condenser, I'd borrow one from one that you know runs good and see what it does. I had a couple of condensers bite me this past summer and give me fits figuring out why things wouldn't run or at least not right.
One was a cast iron Briggs on my air compressor, the other was in a 390 in a neighbor's 70 F100.
Yea I've had condensers go bad and cause problems but this time its the coil I reused the condenser and all is good

Dissembled the carb placed the carb body in the ultrasonic cleaner, cleaned the main jet tube assy and the idle jet, cleaned up the neelde seat with a Q tip and Mothers metal polish, got the carb body out of the cleaner, used the small brushes and carb cleaner then blew everything out good, went to reassemble the carb found the bowl gasket I had was to small for the Kohler carb looked everywhere didn't have another so I tried a trick put the gasket/ O ring in a pan of gas at 9:15 am came back to the shop at 2:10 pm and the gasket had swollen and it fit perfectly so I reassembled the carb installed it on the K301, did a governor adjustment checked the point gap it was right on installed the points cover and started the engine and it ran ever so nice so its a good one also. Discovered it has a 3 amp stator so will get a 15 amp one from a parts engine and install it, then another 15 / 20 minute run and it should be good

Last edited:
The last Kohler is done it starts and runs good the stator replacement is completed and its working as it should, this 12 hp engine really runs nice

Attachments

• 20230202_150051.jpg
    20230202_150051.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 5
Back