Picked Up a Generator Today

chieffan

Tractorologist
Several years ago Carolyn's Niece's husband bought a portable generator. He was on oxygen and was concerned that if they lost power he would be w/o oxygen. He passed away about 6 months ago and his wife is giving of most of his things to family but wanted to sell this generator. Listed it on FB Marketplace and Carolyn seen it and mentioned it to me. B&S 3500 watt full load, 4750 start up. Was only started once to make sure it ran and shut off and never turned over since. I gave her asking price of $350. We went and got it today. Her neighbor helped me lift it in the back of the van. New one same model lists for $500 today. Gas tank was empty. Oil was full. After unloading it by rolling it out the back of the van down 2 - 2x4 ramps I tried to start it. No go. Back does NOT like pulling a recoil start any more. Will check it out closer tomorrow afternoon. I have a feeling it has sat with gas in the carb. The fuel valve was shut off, but he probably just shut the switch off and then turned the fuel off. At least the carb is easy to get to.

Glad you didn't get laid up loading and unloading, Roger. Yeah the recoil starters are tougher to do than they used to be also. Some engines start right away, some don't. My B/S generator is a pull start too. I would have held out for a electric start but the price was too good to pass this one up.

DAC

I might convert this one to a drill and socket for electric start. Will see how it goes checking out the fuel system first this afternoon. Have a CT scan and another test to do first this morning. I think the big problem with these pull starts is you have to mend down to pull them. The old CastIron Briggs on my wood splitter is about waist high and pulls a lot easier than a 3 hp mower.

Last edited:
I rarely buy or pick up anything anymore that doesn't have electric start. Cheap or not I ain't pulling anymore than I have to.
I don't blame you one bit. If I had the option at the time, I would be the same way. In this case it was more of a good deal and help out a lady in need than going with my preferences. Once I get this one running it will probably spend it use time in the loader bucket where I have a straight pull on it. In my case it is not the shoulders that give me problems it is the muscle on the side and back.

The heavy armatures of the generator head makes rope starting a generator a back and or shoulder pain maker! I have 3 different gensets, and all are electric start. Well, I have 2 or 3 more that are rope only, but don't use them. I to keep them in running shape for people who might need one.

I've used a drill and socket as a makeshift electric starter on a couple of small engines, I don't anymore because the last time I did I stripped the threads on the flywheel nut and the crankshaft of that engine. But yeah I do have a couple of engines here plus the POS Honda on the power washer at work that kill my right shoulder but most of them don't.
I have a buddy who had to have back surgery from a welder/generator he had to pull start at his work....

i got this one to run a short bit with carb cleaner sprayed in the carb. Sprayed it good and let it set. Will try in the moring. If it won't stay running will go up in the loader bucket wehre I cang et at it and pull the carb for a good cleaning. Verifgiedd by the serail No. it is a 2014, made Feb 12, 2014 and never run - and still dont :mad:

It ran briefly so you already know it will be ok. Just got to get the cobwebs out of it! I should probably do a run on mine since I've not started it since the day I brought it home last May! Sould be nice enough to do things like that this week.

DAC

I pick d up a generator at a garage sale a few years ago, more of a "moving" type sale.
Super cheap. People had bought it just before Y2K and put gas in it when they took it out of the box, started it once to make sure it would then slid it under the workbench to be forgotten about until they moved. A cleaned up carburetor later and it works fine. I've run it 3 days straight a couple of times since then, it does sit a lot in between uses. I need it about once a year average. Usually it only runs a few hours at a time when it is needed. But it does run.
I hate when I drag it out, drag the cord out, shut off the main, get it going and the power comes back 15 minutes later. I usually don't fire it up until we've been out a couple of hours.

At least this one has the wheel kit on it so other than weight not bad to move around. I think I will use the chain hoist to lift this oner high enough to go in the back of the ranger. Will be good working height there. can strap it down or when I want it unloaded, just roll it off onto my heavy work bench in the machine shed, screwed my back and side up for a couple days so won't be pulling on that cord from down that low., Checking on what all it would take to convert to electric start and just use a jump pack. Don't need another battery to mess with.

But yeah I do have a couple of engines here plus the POS Honda on the power washer at work that kill my right shoulder but most of them don't.
I have a buddy who had to have back surgery from a welder/generator he had to pull start at his work....
Likely that Honda either needs valve adjustment, OR the exhaust rocker arm is cracked and bent, rendering the auto compression release inoperable. Replaced a couple with cracked and bent rockers. Almost impossible to rope crank.

At least this one has the wheel kit on it so other than weight not bad to move around. I think I will use the chain hoist to lift this oner high enough to go in the back of the ranger. Will be good working height there. can strap it down or when I want it unloaded, just roll it off onto my heavy work bench in the machine shed, screwed my back and side up for a couple days so won't be pulling on that cord from down that low., Checking on what all it would take to convert to electric start and just use a jump pack. Don't need another battery to mess with.
Hope you find the parts you need to convert it to 12V start Roger! I pulled on my generator quite a few times today before it dawned on me that "I" is where the switch should be, not "O"---LOL! Started first pull then!

DAC

Generator still not starting on gas. Will start and run on carb cleaner. Put the carb in the Ultrasonic cleaner with Coleman fuel for 5 min. blew it out and still a no go. Run it through the cleaner again, twice at about 5 min each at 140°. Still would not start. Transferred it to the back of the pickup and delivered it to my regular B&S dealer. They were not busy, nothing in the shop so they got right on it. Will call when it is done. My bet is it sat for several years with gas in the carb and one of the ports is plugged. Would probably have been cheaper to buy a new carb and forget it.

Hope you find the parts you need to convert it to 12V start Roger! I pulled on my generator quite a few times today before it dawned on me that "I" is where the switch should be, not "O"---LOL! Started first pull then!

DAC
The O and I are pretty stupid. But Googling brings it to perspective. Well kinda ....
Screenshot_20240201-171053.png

And another side.. Its only a 1 minute video..

Back