Plant Seed Conspiracy

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
It’s not been a good year at all. We plant beets every year in a raised bed. This year before planting I inoculated the entire bed with weed and grass killer. It sit for two weeks and nothing came up even after running the cultivator through it.

I planted the beets and about a week after the beets sprouted grass started coming up. It was hard to weed it because of the beets being so small and delicate and the grass being so close to the beets. I went out yesterday morning to weed and it was terrible. The grass has already almost dominated the whole bed as if the grass is what I planted. If you have planted beets before you know the clusters contain several seeds.

Once I started weeding I noticed the grass was coming up everywhere a beet had sprouted. Carol sowed the first seeds and we had some bare areas with absolutely nothing came up which is common sometimes you miss an area while broadcasting the seeds. We bought more seeds and I re seeded these areas. Guess what’s now sprouting along with the new beets…the same grass. I’m convinced these beet seeds have grass seeds within the cluster. If look close in this pic you can see how the red leg of the beet is in twined with the grass.
IMG_1093.jpeg

This is the third year in a row we have had problems with Burpee seeds from the box stores. Three years ago Carol planted okra it came up very good except it wasn’t okra it was some type of weed that grew 4’ tall with balls as big as a golf ball and had about 3/4” spikes all over it. Two years ago we started some big boy tomatoes and they were doing good but they weren’t BB’s they looked like a large pear. We gave away a lot of these plants and folks were asking us what they were. I had never seen a tomato like these. I did do some research and found they were an Italian strand that was used mainly for sauces. We actually liked them but not too good for eating but processed well, real meaty and not much water.

In the last few years I have noticed that sometimes there are (to be polite) mis-labeled seed packets. What "they" say is in them is not what grows, carrots in particular for instance. The Bolero carrots from Vesey Seeds are my favourite but when I planted the same name/variety seeds from Lindenburg last year they did not appear the same at all. Now I'm wondering which company sent the true Bolero seed, LOL. This year I didn't plant a garden because of my holiday but I'll try again next year with a different seed company and see what comes up.
Several years ago I ordered some daylily roots and there must have been a poppy seed or two that came in the root. I now have lots of big fluffy pink poppies that showed up around those lilies and have volunteered ever since.

Attachments

• DSC00835.JPG
    DSC00835.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 3
That’s a pretty flower Lorna. Carol has some of those pink poppies. My mom had a lot of the orange poppies when I was growing up. She had a lot of the little red flowers that would bloom out in the evening, they were called 4 o’clock s.

I don't know what's going on with these seeds. We planted sweet peas in the raised beds this year and they are so bitter that my wife pulled them all out and has replanted.
Chris we planted cucumbers twice and still only have half of the 20’ fence with climbers right now. That’s bad when you can’t get a cucumber to grow. I planted carrots and only a few sprouted. I planted corn late and only about a third of that came up. The three 20’ rows of Indian corn for fall decorations is just now getting tassels. We both get depressed when we go to the garden this year. It’s what it is now. Carol wants to let both gardens lay fallow next year with just a cover crop of red clover. It’s sounding more and more of a good idea.

No more Burpee seeds if I do garden next year my seeds are coming from this company. They are on YouTube with a lot of info and sell seeds for everything. They even grow their own gardens and let you see their harvest and what seeds are best for your area.

We have enough property here that we can rotate our crop, thankfully. But still, things are slow coming this year. Even the farmers, their soybeans are way behind very short compared to normal years. We’ve had lots of rain, but we haven’t had the heat that the plants need to stimulate them. And of course the weather guessers predicted a major heatwave and that didn’t happen.

Any row crop this year was a total flop. Either didn't get it indue to rain or would not come up. Planted two rows of onions, then the rains came and so did the weeds. Weed completely took over. Only one way to handle that mess - 2-4 D. Haven't looked close for the onions yet so don't know if they survived or not.

Several years ago, a friend worked for Earl May Seed Company headquartered in Shenandoah Iowa. After the fall planting season all the unsold seeds would be brought back into the main facility. He said for 2 weeks straight he did nothing but opened seed packages into a funnel. The seeds were then blended in with the new crop seeds. He said there were several times when he opened a packet the seeds were not what the packet was supposed to have in it.

Back