Plug/ core aerator

4getgto

Bill from Northampton County, Pennsylvania
Are these things worth having and do they work.? I bought the one below at an auction and debating whether to keep it or sell it. Its a 42" Ohio Steel. Pretty expensive when buying new.
IMG_20211005_160909.jpg
IMG_20211005_160942.jpg

Just put a set of ice chains on the tractor, they’ll do about the same thing. Then you’ll have it done each time you cut the grass. Just change direction and spacing every other time when cutting. I’ve heard thats what they do out west.

Noel

My neighbor uses one. However his grass doesn't look any better or different than mine.

That ohio steel one is pricey. I think the ones I seen at tractor supply were like 150 to 200 bucks.

I have an ohio steel wagon. It's built pretty heavy duty.

My neighbor uses one. However his grass doesn't look any better or different than mine.

That ohio steel one is pricey. I think the ones I seen at tractor supply were like 150 to 200 bucks.

I have an ohio steel wagon. It's built pretty heavy duty.
Yea that's kinda what I was thinking too.
Yes they are pricey @ $449 new..(Home Depot price)
You ain't going believe what I played for it..

And I believe there's a fine line when you can use them as far as being to wet or to dry. You either plug up or can't penetrate the soil..

You've got a reply from me on the "other" site.

I'll add that as I recall the ground at my former home was packed hard. One or two uses didn't accomplish much but over a period of years I did end up with a much nicer lawn.

I have been looking for one or at least I am being told I need one. My lawn got neglected for about 10 years prior to us moving back to the property. For the last 3 years I have a dethatcher which I use in the fall and spring and some turf builder fertilizer in the spring. The grass came back alot better. Still not a golf course. Keep my eye out if one turns up. These people out here use things once and curb it, sure one will turn up

Are these things worth having and do they work.? I bought the one below at an auction and debating whether to keep it or sell it. Its a 42" Ohio Steel. Pretty expensive when buying new.
View attachment 43204
View attachment 43205
That’s a nice one. Ohio Steel makes good products. I’ve never used one and for me personally it’s just something else taking up space.

I have a 48" one, bought it at lowes, but I think it is made by Agrifab. I put a 75# wheel weight on each side, strap it down and use it mostly in the spring. I'm told if the ground is soft enough, now is a good time to use it. I stop occasionally and clean out the tines because a rock will get stuck in the hollow and it won't penetrate much. I can't say for sure if or how much it helps, but I use it anyway.

Ive never used one myself but the landscape company uses them early spring and then fertilizes the following week, they have several contracts for city parks and schools where they also install and maintain the irrigation systems, occasionally I have to go on site to fix equipment and every lawn Ive seen looks amazing so I think they know what they're doing.

Back