Plymouth Barracuda

4getgto

Bill from Northampton County, Pennsylvania
1675764756972.png

Based on Chrysler's A-body,[5] the Barracuda debuted in fastback form on April 1, 1964. The new model used the Valiant's 106 in (2,692 mm) wheelbase and the Valiant hood, headlamp bezels, windshield, vent windows, quarter panels, doors, A-pillar, and bumpers; the trunk and some of the glass was new. Utilizing the same hybrid design approach as Ford did turning its Falcon into the Mustang significantly reduced Plymouth's development and tooling cost and time for the new model. The greatest effort was put into creating its distinguishing 14.4 sq ft (1.34 m2) rear window,[1] a collaboration between Pittsburgh Plate Glass (PPG) and Chrysler designers that created the largest ever installed on a standard production car to that time.[6]

Back in 1968 I looked at one of those. Slant six-3 speed, with a vacuum gauge in the instrument cluster. It was the car my mother wanted me to buy!! I was also looking at a 1963 Ford Thunderbird, 390-automatic. We compromised and I bought a 1964 ford Fairlane Sport Coupe, 289 automatic.

That's a pretty rare car I bet, Chris! What was under the hood?
The guy I bought from was an architect and had it set up for auto-crossing. You'll have to look that up.
He had the spoiler and Ram Charger hood scoop done. I Picked the colors and a friend painted it. It's 68' GM Safari yellow with black textured paint on the scoop. Like spray on vinyl tops. They are Crager S/S wheels but not what normally what was out there. They were all alloy and I didn't realize the difference until I took to a tire shop. The guy there said that I had better let anyone who works on the wheels know they were all alloy. He handled them like they were glass because he wasn't sure he could replace one if he damaged it. I guess most were alloy centers with steel rims.
The stock 273 was rated at 235 hp. I've read that there was a 275 hp. version available but it was rare. This car had a factory 6 grand tach and I would consistently shift on the 6k mark with no floating valves. It had a dual point ignition, solid lifters, 4 speed, and 3:91 posi. I was setting the valves and the color of the springs picked my interest so I called Alexander Chrysler Plymouth and asked what color the valve springs should be. Can't remember what they said but mine were purple. When they came back on the line they said those were Hemi valve springs. It's no wonder the thing never floated the valves. I'm surprised it didn't bend the pushrods.
After burning up the second clutch I installed an Auburn racing clutch and no more issues. Started breaking gears in the rear end after mounting Englewood Posi-Trac tires. After installing the 3:91's there were no more differential problems either.
The car was light and went like stink. I never did find out what all had been done to it. Bought 2 years old for $1600.00 and sold it around two years later and I can't for the life of me remember for how much.
Story time. Took it to the same Chrysler dealer right after I purchased it to have the warranty changed to my name. Drove into the service center and shut it down. Service manager came over and asked what I needed. Told him I wanted the warranty and he looked at the car and said "No way". That's the closest I ever came to doing a burn out in a shop. Looking back I can understand where he was coming from.

On the down side the car rode like a lumber wagon. Took on a trip up to our Cabin once and I think I averaged between 13 and 15 mpg on the highway.:(
If you look between the front wheel and the headlight you'll see an emblem like this.
barracuda-formula-s.jpg

Most people don't realize it but there was also a Dodge Dart available comparable to the Formula S. It was called the Formula D/Dart and I think they are rarer than the Barracuda. May have only been one year. My exhaust sounded different than this one.

Cool story Chris, thanks for the history! I do remember all alloy Cragers, similar to some of the other wheel manufacturers like Keystone. I also remember tire shops being scared of those all alloy wheels like you said! I had a set of Keystone Rogue's on a Vega---yeah I said it---Vega. I stayed with the same tire shop I got the wheels and BF Goodrich radial T/A's from as they had no problems.

DAC

I never owned a Vega but back then I remember their reliability being in question. All aluminum block and cylinders if I remember correctly. Don't feel bad about owning a Vega my first was a Corvair. It was a constant chore to keep it on the road but I sure had a lot of fun with it. No I never rolled it but it wasn't from a lack of trying. ;)

Back