Poor back blade I picked up.

Yesterday I used the poor back blade to plow the 4 inches of snow from the drive and around the mail box.
It held up and now gussets installed yet.

:D Al

Sunday I removed all the old bolts holding the blade on the frame. I had sprayed them about a week ago with some kind of penetrating oil. One came loose and off real easy, another 2 broke when I started putting toqure on them, a forth I cut off with a sawzall.

Monday I had to many other irons in the fire to mess with it. But Tuesday I made up my mind I was going to take thre bow out and reweld the rib that was on it. then reinstall it on the frame with all new bolts.
I wasn't able to get all the bow out by laying it on a couple blocks of fire wood then putting down pressure with the Botas bucket and bounceing it a couple times.

The brace rib was broke by one of the mounting bolt holes and I was not able to get it straightened out with the tools I have at hand.
I got a 4' piece of angle iron (why they didn't use angle iron for the brace to begine with is beyound me.) marked the frame mounting holes on it. Took it inside to the drill press and drilled four 1/2" holes in it. Returned to the blade and bolted the angle to the rib which did straighten it out some better(LOL) than it was. did some tack welds to tie the two together and welded a couple beads on the rib to the blade.

Got it mounted to the frame but the orginial holes would not line up on the bottom side since the angle pushed the blade back an extra 1/2". I go get my Hitichi corded drill I bought because it is a hammer drill at a resonable price with great reviews and I needed a hammer drill to do some concrete drilling. Set it to the non hammer mode and it powdered thru the angle and rib real well. It runs at high speed, but is variable i need to learn how to trigger it. the second hole I got thru the angle before I had to quit work on it for the day.

So today if not raining I will finish the hole and add the last bolt. then all that is needed is another guesset plus fix the 3d link hook up so I can use the standard QH 3 link hook.
Plus once the weather is a lot warmer a paint job.

Every thing except changing the center brace and making it hook on to the quick Hitch center hook instead of the grab hook.

I just removed it yesterday and put the box blade back on yesterday.

Not expection any more measureable snow I will need to blade. I may get back at it later this spring.
Today going to drive the last of my T post to finish up our new fence.

I was thinking I would make some skid shoes for it that are adjustable set about 2 inches till I get a base built up then lower them for their after sort of like when useing a snow blower.

Al, late.to the party on this.
I've tried the PVC pipe trick. It worked well for the smaller back blade. Would think it would just need scalled up a size for this one. I used 1.5" because.thats what I had. Maybe 2 or 3"?

Didn't get to ther back blade this summer, a lot of life happened however.
We got 8 inches of snow Monday during the day. decided to wait till it was finished to do any clean up as being Veterans day no mail so no need to keep the Mail box area clear.

Tuesays I installed the back blade and did the clean up. Was not easy to do as the bottom couple of inches of snow you could wring a glass of water from with just a hand full.
Stuff stuck to the blade and would not roll off to the side even at the sharpest angle.

Wondering if spraying it with a genaric PAM like I do the chutes on the snow blowers would help.

I made a snow plow for one of my garden tractors once. Made it out of wood, then covered it with kids crazy carpet. Nuthin sticks to it.

Noel

Attachments

• D9AAC8A5-1BCA-4737-9641-F8FAE45F0402.png
    D9AAC8A5-1BCA-4737-9641-F8FAE45F0402.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Started to clean up an inch of snow in the drive yesterday. Kare told me to quit as it was making the snow that was left really slick. Guess I am going to have to come up with a serated bottom protector.

I cut some PCV pipe about 6 inches long and slotted it, drove it on the blade worked some what to lift the cutting edge of the blade up. Tried it out when the snow was fesh fallen wet. the snow rolling out the side pused that sides PCV off.
While I was given some thought on how I could easly fasten it on I had the chance to plow more snow.
It was 2 below zero and the remaining PVC cracked in half fallong off the blade in two pieces.

I guess there isn't going to be a way to do it other than th eright way and that is to use steel and make some shoes.

Back