Predator repower CC 149

Cvans

Tractorologist
A number of years ago I built this CC 149 dump truck. The Kohler engine was getting noisy and tired. It would set for long periods of time and when I needed it the battery would be dead. :mad: 6.5 HP should be plenty for just hauling things around the yard.
dumpster 004.JPG

The Predator engines seem to have a good reputation so the decision was made to do a swap. These engines are on sale now for $97. The first problem is the Kohler drives the tractor from the recoil side of the engine. I wanted to keep the recoil on the Predator so a battery wouldn't be needed. To do this the engine will be facing the opposite way and the shaft to the hydro will pass under the engine. I wanted the engine. mount, and shaft to be one unit that could be removed from the tractor with six bolts. Three on each side. This would allow the original engine to be reinstalled at a later date if need be.
thumbnail (2).jpg
A coupler was machined so the extended shaft could pass under the mount. It is supported by two pillow blocks and will be coupled to the engine via a #40 roller chain. The mount holes were slotted on the mill so chain tension could be adjusted by sliding the engine.
thumbnail (3).jpg
It was necessary to purchase an aftermarket air filter assembly so the hood wouldn't have to be altered. Also a different exhaust system will be fabricated. This is how it will look with the hood in the closed position.
thumbnail (4).jpgthumbnail (5).jpg
Next week I'm hoping to finish this up.

Looks awesome! Did you do a write up here? If not I think you did on GTtalk, maybe you could link to it. I would like to read through it for some brainstorms. Thanks!

Pretty cool dump truck Chris! Keep the updates coming! It would be interesting to see a build thread on it.

DAC

Just did a lot of piddly work today. Painting and hooking up the remote throttle and choke. Used to have the battery in the back between the frame rails but that won't be needed anymore so a lot of the wiring was removed. Not much to show.
The sprocket for the engine was suppose to come in today but didn't so the shop ordered another from a different vendor. Hopefully at least one of them will show tomorrow. I did order new bearings for the front wheels while there as one had fallen apart. Ran the engine for a little bit to make sure the throttle and choke were operating in the right direction. May not get to work on it tomorrow as it's looking like fishing weather but I'll believe when I see it.

Did you do a write up here? If not I think you did on GTtalk, maybe you could link to it.
Yes at GTT. Here's a link to the build.
Different type of project - Mechanical & Hydraulics Forum
I want to thank you for the suggestion. Reading through the build brought back a lot of memories. It also reaffirmed what a great place GTT used to be. If anyone is considering a project like this all I can say is go for it. There are a lot of good people here that will provide encouragement and ideas to help you get through it.
09-19-12 005.JPG

That's a good looking dump. I will be checking that build out. Those Predator engines have good ratings. I know a few folks have used the Predator engines & like them a lot. A few say there under rated. Your right going back & reliving a build brings back good memories of accomplishments. I think we all need to appreciate each other more for what we do to keep these made in America gems alive. Keep us updated!

Ilike it Chris, I've used a coulpe of the Predator engine there doing good for me I'm going to have to check out your build thread somehow I missed it

Thanks for the link on the build! I skimmed it some, will read it closer when I get a chance. I was still pretty new to GTT then and missed a lot.

Putting the 13 hp Predator on my MF12G was the only way I could keep the tractor in service that I could afford even if could have found parts which I couldn't either. I guess It should be called an MF13G now?

DAC

Thanks for the link on the build! I skimmed it some, will read it closer when I get a chance. I was still pretty new to GTT then and missed a lot.

Putting the 13 hp Predator on my MF12G was the only way I could keep the tractor in service that I could afford even if could have found parts which I couldn't either. I guess It should be called an MF13G now?

DAC
I'm facing the same thing with my Bolens H16. Those old Tec's can be very pricey to rebuild. I like the way Chris stuffed that Predator under the hood without butchering it.

I'm hoping the 6.5 hp will be enough to power the tractor. Should be seeing as there is no deck to run. I'm still waiting for a sprocket that was suppose to be here yesterday morning.:( When that gets here the project should be finished.

I'm facing the same thing with my Bolens H16. Those old Tec's can be very pricey to rebuild. I like the way Chris stuffed that Predator under the hood without butchering it.

I understand what you are facing Jim! The HH120 was smoking very bad and a standard bore overhaul didn't last. The cylinder was egg-shaped at the bottom of the stroke badly enough that the top ring land was scuffing against the cylinder wall. It looked like it needed .020 overbore. No overbore pistons could be found at that time. Since the tractor is a workhorse, I had to do something but just kept pouring lots of 30wt in it and putting up with the smoke. Wife and kids bought the Predator for me for a Father's day gift. Guess they were tired of the smoke too.

HH120 piston & valves 019.jpg

Yes, Chris did a very clean job mounting that engine, and building that tractor for that matter!

I'm hoping the 6.5 hp will be enough to power the tractor. Should be seeing as there is no deck to run. I'm still waiting for a sprocket that was suppose to be here yesterday morning.:( When that gets here the project should be finished.

I sure would think there's enough power for what you're doing. No grass or ground engagement being done, all the load is carried.

DAC

Today I pretty much finished up this project. Need to replace the seat and install a muffler. Also seriously considering replacing the chain and sprockets with pulleys and and a belt. The chain is very noisy and I don't like the sound. Even without a muffler. The 6.5 hp. is plenty and if I go to a v-belt it will be geared down more. The tractor does 8 mph and that seems fast around the yard.
In the last photo you can just see the recoil handle and the choke next to each other. that turned out handy as the throttle is on this side of the dash. I'll see how it goes but a kill switch on the dash might be a good idea. The motor starts nicely even pulling the hydro as it starts.
thumbnail (5).jpgthumbnail (4).jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (3).jpg

Cool you got it moving again Chris. Looks like #40 chain if I remember right-been a long time. I ran that on go-karts at one time and it was very noisy. I don't think it likes smaller diameter sprockets like on the clutch end. Went to #35 when we started playing with gear ratios more and it was way quieter, even with an open header. Nice job building the exhaust flange for your pipe! 8 mph should feel pretty fast across a yard!

DAC

Looking good Chris you need to work on a 2 speed differential so you can slow it down for loading etc and hi for going down the road to get coffee:thumbs:

MFDAC your close on the chain, #50. I did some research on what #40 chain will handle on this size sprocket and it's pathetic. On top of that I had more #50 sprockets. I can't believe I'm reading those charts right as I have a snowblower being powered by more than 20 hp from a diesel and it's holding up fine. The charts say on a 13 tooth sprocket running 3000 rpm #40 is rated 2.70 hp. Kind of hard to wrap my head around those numbers.

That is pretty hard to believe 2.7 hp max. I sure don't buy that! Sometimes a person has to ignore what "they" say and just try it.

DAC

Back