Put seed in the ground today

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
Planted carrot seed yesterday. I'm trying the toilet paper trick again. Last year it didn't work so good as I covered the toilet paper with sifted garden dirt and it crusted over so bad very little seed came up. This year I covered it with miracle gro potting soil run thru a 1/4" seive so we'll see how well it works. I have 574 seeds in a 4 ft square. I also planted sugar snap peas and chard seed today. Our spring has been slow to arrive this year so I'll wait another week to plant the rest of the seed of plants that are more frost susceptible. I bought 2 small straw bales last fall and plan to shred a bunch to use to cover beans,squash etc in case of frost. We had a frost last year when the beans were about 3" tall and the straw worked good to protect them. Afterward I just pulled the straw back to use as mulch to conserve water. It's tricky gardening at 5700 ft!!

Grand-daughter and I planted the garden today. Everything is in except for the things that will have a second planting. She is recently married and wanted a garden so bad that I couldn't refuse her. On top of that she said she will do the weeding. :thumbs: My kind of girl. :D It's a fairly large garden, 75' x 75' approx. so her help will be really appreciated.

I have about everything planted. Picked up a package of pickling cucumbers and 2 Egg Plants today at Menard's. They will go in the ground in the morning. Also picked up a bundle of flags with 2' wire to mark the veining plants for later watering. Will get some pics in the morning. Have a Red Plumb tree to stick in the ground also.

Chris, how are your strawberries doing this spring? Have watered our twice so far and they are blooming big time. Need to get the grass pulled out of them. About twice as much work to get done as time and energy allows.

Chris, how are your strawberries doing this spring?
They are looking good but haven't started blooming yet. Next week we are finally going to get some warm weather so they should really take off. Sure hope you get a bunch of good berries. We only left a few blooms on the plants last year but the berries were really sweet and red all the way through.
I have ours planted parallel and down hill from our pole building so every time it rains they get a good watering.

No zucchini here either. Always have people wanting to give us some. Same with sweet corn. Can buy it cheaper than trying to grow it ourselves.

Can buy it cheaper than trying to grow it ourselves.
Yah know Roger I think if you planted the variety that we do (Incredible) you would change your mind. No sweetcorn that comes close to it. Everyone that eats it absolutely loves it. We've tried other varieties that we and others have raised over the years but Incredible is just that. And it's much easier to raise then the vine type plants. My Grand-daughter wants Watermelon, pumpkins, and cucumbers. I said fine but your going to weed them.
I know we all raise what we want but I can't imagine a garden without Sweetcorn or Potatoes.

We buy our corn from a guy that has raised sweet corn commercially for several years. Excellent flavor, no worms and always an extra ear in the "dozen". Don't know what brand it is but he is always sold out before any of the rest. Between the racoon and deer ours never made it to maturity both times we tried it out here. This ground will not raise peas or green beans either so we don't plant them. We raise Sweet Potatoes about every other year. Ran out of room so won't have any this year. Daughter's daughter and her fiance's two are real picky eaters. He has a ton of I don't like's so his two follow suit. Granddaughter used to eat a lot of stuff she won't now because the other 3 don't like it.20210514_101821_HDR.jpg 20210514_101910.jpg 20210514_101921.jpg

First pic is freshly tilled crops marked with white ID stakes and flags. Second is of the row crop area, plants inside the rings. Third is after a 1" rain and stuff is just breaking through the ground.

Last edited:
To me, that looks like rich ground that should grow great green beans. Wonder why it doesn't? It does look like it gets kinda hard & crusty after a heavy rain though.

It is a sandy type black dirt and does get a bit crusty after a rain. 3 miles away friend have a bumper crop of green beans every year. Ours grow and bush good but very few beans ever form. Same with the peas only they don't even grow as good. If we don't get a shower tonight will probably water it a bit to soften the ground a little as things are starting to come up through.

So far we've been pretty lucky in not having to deal with raccoons or dear. If I see any signs of them an electric fence is going up in short order. The fact that we have dogs and cats around might have something to do with it also.

We have a dog also and the goat pasture borders the garden on 2 sides. Didn't notice deer tracks last year so I think the old CD's I hang on wire about 6' up keeps them away. Creek with trees is only a couple hundred yard away so the racoon can sneak in through the CRP. If Duke smells them he usually gets them. Every couple weeks or so we find his prize laying in the yard towards the pasture gate.

I've relocated a few raccoons from the property. Live trap and take them down the road to the creek and woods.

I planted today not much but enough to give me some fresh veggies. I wanted to go bigger but time constraints!

I tilled my garden on Thursday but it's so dry here I may have done more harm than good. Hope to put some potatoes and onions in later this afternoon, but will wait to put in seeds until it rains. It can have a pretty hard frost here any time in May, and I have seen -5C. in Father's Day so I'm in no hurry to set the tomatoes out yet.

Has been raining off and on all afternoon. Over a half inch so far but coming real nice and soaking in good. Will be a boost for the seeds in the ground, the hay ground and pasture ground. Of course the weeds always like a good rain also.

Back