Quick paint job on

I used Penetrol to bring back the luster on a old fibreglass boat seasonally.

That's a good use for it! Most any paint that is oxidized will respond well with Penetrol.

Never heard of Flood. Seems some people use it straight from the can for some kind of protection. Does this dry hard when using straight . ? Reading a little about it I thought it's only to be mixed( in with) paint.? My first thought was that this was just a thinner of some sort. I'm going have to get some now just to play with it.

Flood is the company that makes it. Using it to bring back a faded paint job is a by product of it's use. It was made to mix with enamel paint for a "flow inhancer" not a thinner. I'ts not really a clear coat as it "combines" with the surface then dries well. I usually should be wiping it on my truck once a year or so but have dropped the ball sometimes. Mixed with paint, it will not affect the durability, and I think it helps.

It says right on the can "Do not thin" & that is what I was going by. 41° this morning so not doing any painting for a while - week at least before it gets back up to painting temp. Will give me some time to round up some Penetrol. Menard's may have it.

Around here Penetrol can be bought at most any paint store, and Menards or Ace Hardware paint department. I'm afraid the furnace is running in my shop preparing to do some touch up repair on my wife's truck. Just not warm enough now.

Never heard of Penetrol.

Noel.

I guess being available in Canada is something I can't help with. Your paint looks great without it!

I think you should be able to see the difference here on the tailgate. The center inset around the logo has been wiped with Penetrol but not the outer area.

DAC

penetrol on '55 001.jpg

On painted surface is this a wipe on wipe off application? Or some rubbing? Power buffing. Found the product on the net but didn't find anything about how to use it other than in oil base paint.

I have Valspar Anti-rust Armor, oil based enamel. Says to apply with polyester or natural bristle brush. It seems to thinck to flow out right and leaves brush marks. I may thin some down with Penetrol and see what happens. Have a tractor hood that needs painting.

On painted surface is this a wipe on wipe off application? Or some rubbing? Power buffing. Found the product on the net but didn't find anything about how to use it other than in oil base paint.

I have Valspar Anti-rust Armor, oil based enamel. Says to apply with polyester or natural bristle brush. It seems to thinck to flow out right and leaves brush marks. I may thin some down with Penetrol and see what happens. Have a tractor hood that needs painting.

Yes you just wipe on, no buffing. I have never used Penetrol as a thinning agent.

Penetrol isn't a "thinner", it is a flow enhancer. You may need to use a thinner with it. On painted signs I would use some penetrol and turpentine or an automotive reducer. I could get a virtually sprayed on looking finish on background paint and the lettering itself, using a thin short nap roller and lettering brushes. Just experiment a bit.

Yeah, like Jazz said just wipe on when applying to faded paint or even rusty crap like my truck.

DAC

Valspar can be thinned with mineral spirits however I’d use reducer to thin for faster drying time.
Only one independent hardware store around here carries Valspar. They carry big selection of spray cans but you better like black, green or white if you want quart cans
Using a high quality brush makes a world of difference. Done right there will be no brush strokes.
My brother is pro painter, he got me to buy $20 brush., no more $1 brushes for painting:thumbs:
I've had Purdy brushes for over 12 years

The Valspar paint I have has a silver label, ANTI-RUST in big letters, Armor, Maximum Rust Protection. Oil base enamel. Custom mixed to match Cub Cadet white and Yellow. The label on the side states "Where to use: For metal substrates only." Next line: "Coverage/Thinning: One quart covers up to 100 Sq. Ft. Do Not Thin." As thick as it is I don't think it would ever spray even with a latex tip. This must be a different kind of Valspar brand paint. I brush painted a Cub hood and it has a high shine, but does have brush marks. It says to use a natural or polyester bristle brush and am sure it was a polyester brush. Mineral spirits to clean up tools. I think it would flow out better if it was thinned a bit but don't want to ruin a $20 can of paint. I am open to suggestions. First time I ever used this type of paint.

Last edited:
Back