Rattle can paint question.

Propane1

Tractorologist
Was using one today to paint drive way markers. Would plug up. Three nozzles I tryed. Cleaned them all in lacquer thinner. Blew them out with air. Still plugged up.
So I drilled one out with a 1/16 drill bit. She sprays now. Don’t know for how long thou. Could be the can ? Paint in can no good ? I shook it well.
My question is, which can has the best working nozzle. ? This nozzle in on a tremclad can. Do other makers use the same nozzle ?

Just another crazy question of mine, Noel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 91430EF0-C12A-4778-BCD6-2BB7D703A307.jpeg
    91430EF0-C12A-4778-BCD6-2BB7D703A307.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 6
  • BB7D663A-FA64-4FAE-9EA9-EDB172D36604.jpeg
    BB7D663A-FA64-4FAE-9EA9-EDB172D36604.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 6
I think a lot of time it is the paint in the can. Have had good luck with one brand for many cans and colors.
Then the next can keeps plugging the nozzle. I keep several spray nozzles in an old 35mm film container with lacquer thinner like you do. If one plugs just switch nozzles. Along this same line, take a large hose clamp and clamp the paint can to a Saws All blade and pull the trigger. If that don't mix the paint nothing will.

I like the nozzle in the far right photo. Did I win a prize? :p
Here's one for you. Bought two cans of WD-40 One of them worked fine the first couple squirts and then nothing. It's plugged. Not the nozzle but inside the the can. Going to have to punch a hole in it and pour the stuff out. Anyone run into that before?

I have a bad relationship with aerosol cans. When I learned the trick of using a valve stem to refill cans with more content in them the relationship improved. As for tips, I do not seem to have as many issues as you.

Chris, I have never had that issue! I have started to buy wd40 by the gallon, and use it in a spray bottle. It is amazing how much more bang for your buck you get.

I have a bad relationship with aerosol cans. When I learned the trick of using a valve stem to refill cans with more content in them the relationship improved. As for tips, I do not seem to have as many issues as you.

Chris, I have never had that issue! I have started to buy wd40 by the gallon, and use it in a spray bottle. It is amazing how much more bang for your buck you get.
I use to do that need to start again. Your right the stuff lasts a lot longer.

I wonder how many of these will work when I grab one---LOL! I have had best luck with Krylon, but they are getting weird on all the different types of spray bombs they produce. Never did care for Rustoleum but sometimes that's what is needed.

I have never heard of Valspar in spray cans. Sure woulds try it! Valspar used to have a great enamel paint by the gallon called "Self Cleaning White". It actually did work! I used to paint a lot of signs on the concrete wall surrounding our local clay speedway The clay would fall off of the ones with that rollered on them. It even worked if the customer would want yellow, or any other light background color. I would tint the self cleaning white and roller it on! I can't find it any more though.

DAC

DSCN1593.JPG

Last edited:
I like the nozzle in the far right photo. Did I win a prize? :p
Here's one for you. Bought two cans of WD-40 One of them worked fine the first couple squirts and then nothing. It's plugged. Not the nozzle but inside the the can. Going to have to punch a hole in it and pour the stuff out. Anyone run into that before?
I have a pint jar now with wd40 in it because of having to drain a bad can.

I have used a blow gun to force air down into the can when I didn't shake it enough. Works when the pressure is gone in a can but still material left. I buy WD-40 in gallon containers and use a plastic spray bottle with adjustable nozzle. Lot cheaper that way too.

Back