Recommendations for a Sears ST/16 gas tank replacement

rootboy

Hi guys,

We just got an old Sears ST/16 with the Tecumseh OH160 engine which has a plastic gas can in lieu of a proper gas tank. The tank is located under the hood, and all things considered it fits pretty darn good. But still...

Any suggestions for a replacement for this jerry (can) rigged tank? And with the tank above the engine, do I still need the vacuum assist pump?

Thanks,

John

Welcome to Tractors Anonymous...... Did that ST originally have the tank under the seat?? I have a couple GT series Sears with oem plastic tanks under the seat.. I just assumed the earlier SS and ST models used the same setup.

If the tank is above the carb you dont need a fuel pump.

001.JPG002.JPG004.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Lance,

No, the tank was under the engine cover, complete with a hole to get to the cap for filling. I found a video that includes a shot of what I think should be the proper tank at the 4 second mark.

I don't care all that much about originality, it's meant for work, not show. :)

Good to know about the fuel pump, we'll bypass it and see how well it operates.

And I meant to include pictures of it, but I got busy and forgot. I'll try to post some tomorrow, and thanks for your response!

John

I have a White that I put a 2 gal plastic gas can in for a gas tank. Gravity feed to the carb till it gets about 1/2 empty. Then I flip the switch to engage the electric fuel pump. Has worked good for a few years now.

So the oem tank probably rusted out and started to leak... which is pretty common. Not sure who may have built them but that same tank was used on several differant brands of tractors so if you look around you might find a metal one in good condition. If the plastic one is working good tho I would just stick with that... maybe add a heat shield if your concerned about heat from the engine.

I agree with Lance. Plastic can stand a lot more viobration and does not draw moisture like a metal tank does.

Hi guys,

I went ahead and fixed the tank since it might be awhile before I find a metal replacement (if ever). It came out just fine, and at 6" of head pressure I don't think that the 1/4 PSI is going to overwhelm my connection anytime soon.

Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it should work just fine.

Conveniently, the fitting ended up below the vent hole which was just large enough for me to get my 3/8" extension through. It would have been more convenient if the hole had been below the filler hole I suppose.

I dropped my deep 12mm in through the filler hole and lined it up with the extension (easier than I imagined it would be to do) and I was able tighten the fitting down nicely from both sides.

The tank is a "Blitz" Model #11805 1 gallon, 4 ounce gas tank. The bulkhead connector is a:

"DERPIPE Stainless Steel 1/4" Hose Barb, Barbed Thru-Bulk Head , Hex Bulkhead Straight Fitting"

with the non-threaded end cut off. Gaskets were cut out from thin gasoline resistant gasket material and each layer of the gaskets and flat washers were coated with Permetex.

Bulkhead fitting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DXJH7KK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tank and a couple of shots of the tractor.

Thanks!,

John

IMG_20210914_155102.jpgIMG_20210914_155155.jpgIMG_20210914_155148.jpg

Back