Replacement engine for ROPER GTK 18 GARDEN TRACTOR

gismo

Looking for a cheap engine to replace my kohler m18 opposed twin engine in my 1992 roper gtk18 garden tractor.

I am located in nova scotia canada The 18 horse power kohler that's in it now has hardly any compression. I am look for a cheap replacement to get it running for the summer, Hopefully something that will fit without cutting up the hood . Thanks Harry

I thought I might have a solution, but too far away.
Have you looked into why this engine is low on compression? Could be something easy, like a head gasket or stuck valve

it' been smoking for a while also and the small engine guy I had it at said a kit would help it out but with labor it would probably over twelve hundred dollars . It's not worth that much to me. I f i can find a cheap
Honda clone or something similar I get a few years out of it . In the mean time I am keeping my eyes open for a good farmall cub . Thanks for your reply Harry

If you aren't much of a mechanic swapping an engine into a tractor that wasn't meant to be there will probably be beyond your ability.

There are no cheap options for higher hp motors. Even the predator that is 22hp is still 850 bucks! You might get away with 13hp but ehh...

If your tractor is the one I'm thinking of the flywheel is mounted towards the operator and has a pulley there to drive belts then a pulley on the crank shaft end. So you'd need to fabricate adapters for the flywheel side.

Your best bet would be to find a used motor like you have to swap.

I love old tractors but unless you have lots of parts around sometimes it hard to keep em going....

Come to think of it, Ropers were usually Onan engines! Not Kohler!

That's about when they quit, his is one of the last.
And being in Canada alot of times what engine etc was spec's out was different from the US. That kohler may well have been original.
If he has the machine that I am thinking that he does there's one I pass daily on my way to work on blocks, no rear end in it, been sitting there like that about 3 years now.

Yea that model had a 18 hp Kohler in it but there were many units built with the 18 HP opposed B&S finding a Briggs many be easier than a Kohler even the 16 hp Briggs would work, Is the engine a M18?

Back