Replacing Broken Glass.

Texas Horses Hogs and Deeres

Tractorologist
Staff member
Administrator
Hey guys,

My Daughter's 2004 Ford Explorer took a baseball shot to the passengers side rear quarter glass with a baseball the other day and I'm going to replace it myself. I found the correct tinted glass at my local auto recycler for $80.00 and found a paint and body supply house that sells the urethane sealer to install the glass with for $22.00 + tax. This window is a fixed glass and is installed like the newer windshields with only the urethane adhesive mounting it to the body. I've got the shattered window taped up with duct tape to keep it all together, I hope! Mobile glass wanted $275.00 for a new glass and install, $100.00 to install a used glass so I'm going to do it myself.
Has anyone had any experience doing these glue in glass replacement jobs before? Any tricks I might need to know?
Thanks and photos to follow.

BTW, I do use this to pull my little trailer to move 2 gt around sometimes.:D:thumbs:

You don't have comprehensive on your insurance? It covers all glass breakage and doesn't count against you...at least in Ky. I put in a windshield myself years ago just using the adhesive. You just need the little stop blocks to set the proper gap, lay the bead down, then sit the glass on it, but let me tell you....that stuff grabs that glass, so make it right the first time! You likely can do without the blocks on a small side glass. Just watch as you press the glass to be sure you get good contact about 3/8"+wide.

That's expensive for a window. My local glass shop charges me 225 installed for my jeep windshield. I'm on my 3rd one in a year and half...I think the next time it gets broken I am just going to put wire mesh and lexan in it.

I would of just paid someone to do it. Saving 273 bucks is saving money but after you figure in your time and effort to do it..Eh..

You don't have comprehensive on your insurance? It covers all glass breakage and doesn't count against you...at least in Ky. I put in a windshield myself years ago just using the adhesive. You just need the little stop blocks to set the proper gap, lay the bead down, then sit the glass on it, but let me tell you....that stuff grabs that glass, so make it right the first time! You likely can do without the blocks on a small side glass. Just watch as you press the glass to be sure you get good contact about 3/8"+wide.

Daniel, on the girls cars being that there older vehicles, it's not worth the cost to have comprehensive coverage on them.
And I'm too tight to spend that much money when I believe I can fix it myself and have the time to do it right now.

Oh definitely do it yourself! The hardest part is removing the old glass & sealant. Putting in the new is EZPZ! You'll likely need to make a set of blocks for the bottom of the glass to sit on, as the glass will likely sag down if you don't. In an hour or so you can remove the block. Side to side won't need a block long as you sit it in there centered.

I helped a glass guy do the rear window in my Tahoe after I popped it loose offroading. The hardest part was getting the old one out.
Most of the old adhesive was stuck to the glass ( it came loose initially cause it pulled paint off window lip) so we scraped and cleaned off most of the old. He cleaned it with some cleaner, I was use acetone.
One tip I've seen is to cut tip of caulking tube ( if you're using one) in an inward V so that when you make a bead on the glass, it's in a triangle. not sure why they do it this way, but seen many window installers use that technique. Once you put window in place and pressed down, it pretty much doesn't go anywhere.

Back