Resonators

Jazz

Tractorologist
I replaced wifes exhaust yesterday as there was a hole at flex pipe. I welded it up few months back but I know the exhaust was going to need replaced eventually. Why the heck we need a resonator on a little 4 cylinder engine? Just so it purrs on the lot as a sales pitch IMO
Rest of exhaust looked decent but I don't want to revisit underside of car,,well for a bit. The fuel tank has leak at seam, I put some epoxy on it but will be replacing it. Nice that theirs a hatch under rear seat to disconnect fuel pumpIMG_5595.JPG

exhaust work makes me real glad that I have a lift.... I remember fighting with exhaust pipes on jacks and stands while growing up.... but now a days I guess its less of a hassle, since many cars run the tailpipe under the rear axle instead of above it I hated fishing the tailpipe over the axle with only a foot of ground clearance.
Also I have been able to get "just" the flex part of the pipe and weld them in, for the past several years, if the rest of the system is in good shape. ... even if I gotta go ask for it at a muffler shop. When my mother in law had her Ford Contour, I had to replace that section twice/ but when the car left just before it was rotted out to where it was ready to fold in half, the rest of the original exhaust was still in place and intact.

I see what looks like "ONTARIO" plates... yikes... one reason I try to keep the original exhaust (or as much of it as I can) is because here in the road salt belt (Chicago-ish), replacement exhaust never lasts as long as the original did, original has been some form of "stainless" for a while now, helps tremendously where replacement is only "aluminized" coated, regular steel tube. might get 15+ years out of OE, but not unusual to only get 2-3 years out of replacements. hope that replacement exhaust lasts the length of however long you plan to keep that car.

Probably keeps it from sounding like a pi$$ed off Bumble Bee.

My pickup has 4 banger, no resonator from factory. Has no odd sounds although you can hear the engine, not loud by my standard. Now those "fart can" mufflers are just annoying, never been a fan of loud exhaust. My hotrods always had quiet exhaust. Big block in my '68 firebird was horrible when i bought it, got rid of the Thrush Hush right now. Drone of engine is annoying IMO

In this area I bet thee is only one pickup in ten that has anything other than straight pipes and different computer chips. Just to get some noise out of it.
Cousin humpin inbreds who think its cool to blow black smoke. We see them up here,,a very limited market when time to sell if a truck is altered with those chips and lift kits. Blowing black smoke is stupid as they are blowing unspent fuel $$$$. I had truck with Silver 92(Detroit V8) that had no black smoke unless shifted at too low RPM which would send black smoke billowing from the stacks.

Cousin humpin inbreds who think its cool to blow black smoke. We see them up here,,a very limited market when time to sell if a truck is altered with those chips and lift kits. Blowing black smoke is stupid as they are blowing unspent fuel $$$$. I had truck with Silver 92(Detroit V8) that had no black smoke unless shifted at too low RPM which would send black smoke billowing from the stacks.

Around here one of the local lots does nothing but sell lifted trucks with exhaust systems and big wheels. He can't keep them in stock!

I don't mind a loud exhaust on a toy car. A car I don't drive daily. On my daily that is a performance car I like it to make some noise when I get on it, but cruising down the road I don't want to hear anything.

My buddy has the same car as me. He replaced the turbo to the cat with a non resonated pipe, a high flow cat, and left the stock mufflers in place. Outside the car his sounds no different than mine really. But at highway speed with no resonator he has a HORRIBLE DRONE. It just buzzes and buzzes

Back