Roto Hoe

4getgto

Bill from Northampton County, Pennsylvania
Anyone ever seen one of these?

IMG_20180715_154929.jpg

IMG_20180715_154950.jpg

I have one that I'm going to get rid of. Used it for aerating the lawn but just don't use it anymore

Been years since I saw one! But it's all pasture down here!

I see several Amish farms using a version of them. It appears to be an easy way to work the surface. Another item on the dream list of tools for the garden.

That style was used before planting, it loosened up the ground surface and also young weeds. Other styles were mounted on a tool bar and were spaced to run between the rows.

Last edited:
I have a single gang I use as an aerator for my lawn. The old grain farmers around here tell me they were used mainly to break a hard crust so recently planted grain could break through and they were also used to break up large clods resulting from moldboard plowing.
Mike

I have a single gang I use as an aerator for my lawn. The old grain farmers around here tell me they were used mainly to break a hard crust so recently planted grain could break through and they were also used to break up large clods resulting from moldboard plowing.
Mike
That makes sense. I use is it as a aerator too but you can't go over it to many times as it will really tear things up. Especially when too wet.

What were they actually used for? cultivating?

We used to use one just like that but wider 12' or 14' I just can't remember the with for sure. But we used it to break up the hard crust that soybean fields would get after a very hard rain but before they fully sprouted. The corn would break through the crust, but the beans would need help and it didn't hurt the beans that anyone could tell. Everyone in that part of the Midwest used those how's for that.

I remember seeing these used on young crops. Mostly after a hard rain had crusted the soil and then it didn't rain again for a while. They were three point amounted and many rows wide. I remember them creating quite a dust storm as they were driven pretty fast across the field.

Back