Rototec Model 1 flame spray torch.

secondtry

Tractorologist
I picked this up some time ago at a garage sale and haven't had the project to use it.
Rototec tourch 018.jpg
So now begins the learning process.
After much searching on the web it appears the company that produced the consumables that came with my kit no longer exists.
Rototec tourch 017.jpg
I am now in the process of trying to find suitable replacement materials. I have powders to play with but since I have not yet found a sure source of replacement powder I am reluctant to start experimenting thinking that if the learning curve is to steep I may not have enough powder left to finish the job.
I would appreciate any input. I have the Permacool Bond powder and maybe 2 lbs of Permacool Solid PM1209 and some instructions how to use it. I do not have any information to tell me exactly what this powder was engineered for. I have had the torch lit and it appears to function fine.

Rototec tourch 019.jpg

Rototec tourch 020.jpg

My plan is to build up this shaft.
20211211_144712[1].jpg

I have a bearing and seal surface on one side.

20211211_144553[1].jpg

And just a bearing surface on the other.

20211211_144613[1].jpg

Couldn't get a proper focus on that one.
I have found videos of this torch at work but none that gave information about the powders being used. I have also found videos of other flame spray processes nost of which seem to be much higher temp. The instructions I have say to preheat the part to 200F and never let it exceed 500F. Any help or comments appreciated.
Don

I have used a lot of Eutectic products over the years and found them to be of high quality. Especially their Stainless Steel & Aluminum products. Can only remember returning one thing. Never had an opportunity to use any of their spray welding products though. Be interesting to see how you get along with them.

I have used a lot of Eutectic products over the years and found them to be of high quality. Especially their Stainless Steel & Aluminum products. Can only remember returning one thing. Never had an opportunity to use any of their spray welding products though. Be interesting to see how you get along with them.
Mostly a matter of getting the proper information I think. Here is a sample of the information on the old powder surface prep. At this point I have no idea if any of this would apply to a Eutetic powder or not.
20211211_174601[1].jpg
I am thinking Proxon 19121would be an effective choice but haven't found a way to confirm that.
The page above is the kind of information I am looking for on the Eutectic powders. I have several more pages for my existing powders.
Don

In the printed instructions above paragraph 3 I read Using a 90 degree point on a cutting tool, undercut the worn area a minimum of 015" depth of the radius. This much seems clear "Using a 90 degree point on a cutting tool" from that point on it becomes repetitive and proceeds to meaningless.
"undercut the worn area a minimum of 015" depth of the radius." seems to me to be meaningless babel. First I can remember needing a translator for English.
Don

I don't consider myself a journeyman machinist at all but thought those prep instruction were over thought out. Some of it makes sense but the rest, really?
I thought it was a little like reading the welding procedure for the shell plate on a submarine. I hope they have a newer powder for my low temp torch that is a little more user friendly.
I noticed in another area of the instructions it says to cover the ways of the lathe with an asbestos blanket so I am sure much has changed.
Don

Back