Safety Issue

Lily'sDad

GMC, They Said
It was an announced on a Chicago News show that a woman had just stepped outside when a mower operated by her husband shot something out of the deck and hit her 40 feet away. It sliced open her neck, she went into shock, and they weren't sure at first if she would make it to the hospital. Graphic: Freak lawnmower accident slices open woman’s neck
It is best if no one is even outside if you are mowing.

Last edited:
Teresa often works in her flowers when I'm already out mowing. I always yell for her to get away, and I often get "that look". One day when I told her to get away, she ignored me. Yep, something flew out of the mower and hit her, but thankfully nothing but a sting. She doesn't work anywhere near me while I'm mowing now.

Hit a golf ball once with my MF7, its a better shot than I am hehe, but it didn't hit anybody. It would have hurt hitting the leg for sure, at twenty feet away. Now the MF7 blade speed would not be like those commercial Kubotas they use now for business cutting. If they shoot something out their deck its very dangerous. The people using those mowers don't understand the danger of them. They throw the grass out in what ever direction, houses, sidewalks and streets. Saw one mower one time that had heavy chains hanging down the chute opening to help deflect stuff if it came out. Don't know if it worked or not.

Noel

I have a good size dent in the Ranger door from passing a bush hog mower. I use the deck guards to help prevent projectiles, but they happen anyhow. No one comes out side when I'm mowing. If there is a tennis ball in the yard I make a game of hitting it in a direction that I'll pass over it again and again.
Oh, and the weed whacker is far more dangerous to me. Even with long pants I get hit in the shins and it hurts!

Had an unexpected safety issue once...

When I was 12 or so, I was push mowing with an old Murray mower with like a 3.5 Briggs on it. I was mowing along and I heard a pop and the mower slowly died. I don't know the specifics of what happened, but the sparkplug shot out between my legs taking the little crimp lead from the coil with it. From that point on, I'd only use a push mower that the sparkplug was facing forward.

Back