Saw Blade

chieffan

Tractorologist
But not any old saw blade. This one is special and goes on in place of the line drive and spool on the Stihl line trimmers, or weed wackers as some like to call them. Came in the mail yesterday from my friend at the Outdoor Power place I use. Have a bunch of second growth Maple trees growing up on the edge of the pond dam and along a fence row. They do not belong or are wanted in either place so they get cut off and the Cordon treatment.

I bought another new Echo a few years ago. I bought one of the saw blade kits and mounted it on my old one. Now it is semi retired hanging on the wall until I need to cut brush. I really like it. Now they have adapter kits to mount a regular circular saw blade.

You go ahead and try it, not me. Lot of difference beteen it mounted in a power saw and on the end of a pole !
I have Roger. I started out using the Echo kit but even though it worked good I got tired of having to sharpen a regular steel blade. I researched using a regular 7 1/4” circular saw blade. As I mentioned before it’s the type of blade you use makes it work. I’ve been using an old 7 1/4” carbide circular saw blade, 24 tooth, crosscut or framing blade. This blade probably now costs less than $10. A blade that says Stihl brush blade probably costs three times that. It’s your choice.

What's the differences in the blades.
Never tried or used one.
There’s a lot of them out there. The older brush blades were the three star type but the circular blade later became the best choice. My Echo kit worked great but it only had a steel blade and needed sharpened a lot. I researched using a simple circular blade because I have a lot of them. Depending on your trimmer you may need an adapter kit or just a bushing. You can’t go crazy and use these like a chain saw. Most of my use was small saplings maybe an inch or smaller clipping them off at ground level. Slicing through brush was like cutting through butter. Most good carbide brush blades are well over $30. or more if they have the leading brand names on them where you can get a 7 1/4” carbide blade for less than $10. My 24 tooth framing blade works great.

I got the Stihl kit for the conversion. With the shipping it was well under $50. Blade has chain saw type teeth. Haven't tried it yet but tomorrow morning may just be the day Glad the cheap blades work for you but not my cup of tea. I do know my way around saw blades as I do a bunch for the contractors around here on Bell Saw equipment.

Back