Sears st/16?? I need some help guys

Robacker7272

I bought it as a tractor just to use, mow, plow, haul, Tractor shit.. but I’m being told it’s rare it’s classic and restore it sell it and buy a new one! Oh and it needs a f ing starter that I can’t find because I can’t figure out what kind of a tractor I have!!

Attachments

• 848E68A1-054D-4920-8FEB-216F7E5C669B.jpeg
    848E68A1-054D-4920-8FEB-216F7E5C669B.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 13
  • F502EB98-2A12-4DC2-AF92-7A99069FE2AD.jpeg
    F502EB98-2A12-4DC2-AF92-7A99069FE2AD.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 13
Welcome! That is a 1979-80 GT-16 with Variable drive system. (917.25709)

It would be a good workhorse, just manual lift. Have no idea about the restore.

Thank you! Do you know if it’s someone worth restoring or selling to be restored or is it something that I can use a a work horse till the wheels fall off
I believe that's a nice capable Gt to some work for you.
To restore it in the sense of your enjoyment is great but not to restore it and sell hoping to make a bunch . If you get it all fixed up and looking pretty , sell it and break even you did good..!
All JMO. :thumbs:

I personally don't know any GT collector that doing this for a retirement fund.. Again we're just happy not to lose.

We always put more in restorations than they are worth. Garden tractors aren't super collectible. Id say everyone here fixes or restores because we like old equipment not for money making possibilities

Ultimately is it worth restoring will be up to you. If you restore it will you feel like using it or will it just set. Personally I'd use it. That's what I did with the like new one I purchased and have no regrets. It still looks good and has been very useful.

Finding a starter should be more engine dependent than tractor dependent. While it may have a few variations they built a gazillion of those basic engines for all sorts of machines

Thank you! Do you know if it’s someone worth restoring or selling to be restored or is it something that I can use a a work horse till the wheels fall off

Those are the new model after the suburban models, decent working tractor, but not really any collector value.

If the motor is a Tecumseh OH160, starters are readily out there.

Back