Setting top throttle speed

Here's a picture of the front axle. You can see a brace or reinforcement for the center of the axle.
I checked the manual for it and they show it installed the way it was before I started. But I turned it around and reversed it, so that moved the wheels forward about an inch or so. I couldn't remember which it had been, but figured I'd give it as much room as possible. That works great! Just wish I had checked the clearance on the deck before I started to put the divits in it to clear the tires. Just made more work for myself now!
Anybody want to come fix my deck? I'll supply the beer! Lol!

One of the reasons why I had this issue is because I took a later model 54" deck and modified it to fit. My original one was a 48" deck, but it was very beat up and worn out. My neighbor had this one he wasn't using, so it became my new one. I had to modify the pulley setup, and how it was tensioned.

One thing I can’t understand is why the blade spindles are vented to the top of the deck. Seems like a great way to get crap stuck in the belt. Anyone know why they did that?

Attachments

• 20200831_114012.jpg
    20200831_114012.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 5
I got the deck welded up, and got a new belt to drive it with, sharpened the blades, and it works great.
Don't need to run it flat out to get a good cut either. It vibrates, as all 1 cylinder engines do, even with the rotating counterweight. At full throttle it numbs my foot on the brake pedal.
Just need to break it in now and I'll be a mowing fool!

Rick

Rick said.
One thing I can’t understand is why the blade spindles are vented to the top of the deck. Seems like a great way to get crap stuck in the belt. Anyone know why they did that?

That's where the blades get their air. It allows air down into the deck so the blades have air to push out. Other wise the blades get their air from under the deck which causes more turbulence, so the air flow out of the deck is not as good, but with the spindles vented, air flow is better to throw the grass out.

If you think of the flywheel on your engine, the air comes in the center, and goes out the outside of the flywheel. And the cover over the flywheel is open in the center, and has one exit for the air to go out, same as a deck. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Noel

Thanks for the explanation Noel, I hadn't thought about that. I just figured it was a way for the manufacturers to save money by not making it solid.
But that makes sense.

Back