She does love me

MH81

Tractorologist
Staff member
Administrator
I think my wife noticed my pacing around the house due to not going up to the farm lately.
I saw an ad for a hydro Sears. She said Go.
Nice family, social distancing but still sociable.
On the trailer, home before dark:30. Since the starter wasn't wired up, I put a rope around the engine pulley. Next thing I know, we have ignition. Very surprised.
Someone has done an interesting job on updating the ignition and the carb was so overtightened/bent there was 1/8 inch Gap. Also, the starter was completely unwired and the hydro cooling fan cover slash fender bolts are missing. Cover is there.
I figured out that the starter switch was the culprit, not the starter.
Goofed around with some spare parts, resurrected a period exhaust, did some cleaning and overhaul on the carburetor, retimed the ignition system, and it's a runner.

IMG_20200329_185838549.jpgIMG_20200328_191418716.jpgIMG_20200327_081422950.jpgIMG_20200328_191604_01.jpg
Hydro tracs in general aren't overly common... But the orange ones seem to be much less common than the blue.

Alan, after you decon tonight, can you give us a breakdown of the controls and specs on that thing?

Hi MH81 nice Suburban you are right Hydros are rare have only seen a couple for sale here in MN the past 8-10 yrs wouldn't mind having one myself

From the dash forward, it's nearly identical to my 68 Suburban 12.
Rear frame and seats, etc is different due to the hydro
Yeah, but I'm talking full size tractor. A lot of GTs were designed to look like full size tractors. WH took after IH tractors; Cub and Ford were similar to their Big Brothers.

Yeah, but I'm talking full size tractor. A lot of GTs were designed to look like full size tractors. WH took after IH tractors; Cub and Ford were similar to their Big Brothers.
Ahhh.
They had so many different grills and dashes, I don't know.
They had more grills /hood/dash combos than Bolens had paint schemes.

We had one just like that .... probably '69 ... early 70's.
Something got worn & ... you would give it a little "tranny" ... nothing ... give it a little more .... nothing ... a little more & it would do a wheelie & take off like a stripe-assed ape.
I had the 3 point & plow around here for years ... just gave it away a couple years ago.

I remember the little sintered bronze washer thingies that kept the mower blades timed. You'd hit a little sapling root or something & they would break ... off to Sears we'd go.

What a great score Alan! Are you going to put it to work, restore for show or what? How wide is the cutting deck? I think that's exactly like one from a suburban that I have out in a shed, along with the drive pulley and mounting rods. I always wondered what year that darn thing is! Dug it out of scrap years ago.

DAC

What a great score Alan! Are you going to put it to work, restore for show or what? How wide is the cutting deck? I think that's exactly like one from a suburban that I have out in a shed, along with the drive pulley and mounting rods. I always wondered what year that darn thing is! Dug it out of scrap years ago.

DAC
Should be a 66 to 68 if it looks like that. This one is a 68 and would have a 42 inch cut

Alan, is it a two speed axle or a one speed. Would it be hydraulic deck lift. Any hydraulic ports to operate an attachment.

Any Sears tractors seem to be rare in my area. I have not seen to many.

Noel

these sears are growing on me, I got my 68 all ripped apart getting ready for a new engine. a dude on you tube has a real good video about flipping the clutch pulley

Back