Simple 3PT Potato Harvest Tool

BMaverick

YANMAR GURU EXTRAORDINAIRE
I've seen a few out there in complex configurations and very pricey.
Like this type,

1701613899594.png

Tonight, I came across a person who took what they have and made a novel working device for way less than the above commercial unit.

1701613937927.png

The DIY sub-soils as the plate goes below the potato level at the front tip. The back of the plate is higher. The rear fingers protrude above the soil. Dirt is first sifted away while the potatoes ride to the end of the fingers. This allows the potatoes to sit atop of the dirt after a pass.

The DIY device is so much simpler with less structure, no training wheels, and in a small package to store away.

If I take this DIY simple design one step further for a quick hitch setup, then the upper portion isn't needed, making even more compact.
My recent Harbor Freight quick hitch purchase this past summer,
1701614386968.png

20231029_140632.jpg

Anyone here have a neat tractor potato tool for harvesting?

:)

That’s a good idea Brett. I only put out 4-5 40’ rows of potatoes and very seldom dig them all at one time. I still use the typical vintage pitch fork that has a long handle. We have a lot of clay and rocks and I seen the perfect combo that would work great for me. Lol
IMG_9266.jpeg

That’s a good idea Brett. I only put out 4-5 40’ rows of potatoes and very seldom dig them all at one time. I still use the typical vintage pitch fork that has a long handle. We have a lot of clay and rocks and I seen the perfect combo that would work great for me. Lol
View attachment 76461
Those two tools right there is exactly why I buy em in the store..
I know Potato or Potatoe

Won't you need the upper pin to stop it from moving or am I missing something? Instead of welding it like that one you could use two bolts on each side, remove one from each side to fold it in two and the second bolt acts like a hinge. Just a thought.

View attachment 76461
Thanks! I didn't realize this till you posted.

I can take my hand tool fork and use it on the 3PT tractor tool. :thumbs:

Back