Sno Tec no go.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
Went to plow the drive at Kare's moms house. I keep my 2016 Sno Tec snow blower there in Dads little garage.
I turned on the fuel switch plugged in the electric start and gave the primer 5 pumps set the choke switch to full choke
Key in and switch to on. I added stabil and sea foam to the fuel last spring.

Hit the starter button and it just cranked and cranked No start. It was 4 above out. Turned fuel off & choke because it looked as if it was flooded and comeing out the exhaust. Cranked it some more and no offer to fire.

Went to the back of the grarage and pulled out a little blower dad had bought before he passed away. I know it has sat back there for 4 years with out any fuel in it. It is a Troy Built 5hp 4 stroke 21 inch paddle machine. I have one like it but mine is a 4.5 HP 2 stroke. Dumped a gallon of fuel in it primed it and set the choke and it fired right off then died. I had set the choke the wrong way off instead of on. Set the choke properly and primed it again fired right up and ran. I allowed it to warm up then went and cleaned the 3 inches of snow from the drive way.

When I finished I tried the sno tec again and still no start. Going to buy a new plug or two and change it out and with out primeing or chokeing and see if I can get it to fire up, hopefully tomorrow.

:D Al

I have a 5k generator that did sort of the same thing. Running fine the last time I use it. Wanted to use it maybe 6 months later and wouldn't start to save my butt....

It has a low oil sensor on it that wouldn't allow it to start but ran prior and had no leaks...just low enough..

Ok did some research on this blower. I found out how to change the spark plug, plug number, plug wrench size and the need for an extension to reach the plug. All handy information since I don't keep tools there and like to know what I need rather than load the whole tool box in the truck so I will have every thing I may need. Tractor front loader is handy to load that heavy thing in the truck.

I will take my turkey baster fuel remover and if I have to empty the tank and pour in new fresh fuel (I've been buying rec fuel in town for about a year and a half.) drain the carb bowl. maybe even possiable remove the bowl and the emulation tube and clean it.
Looking at the worst case thing here.

Was thinking go this afternoon when it should be warmer. Weather guy said no dice on that wind will be blowing about 20 MPH this afternoon. with rain sleet and snow.

Just told Kare I will start my MTD HF predator blower and take that incase I need to do more work on th eSno Tec like take the carb off for a bath.

People trash talk the predator engines all the time. I've owned a few of them and they do well. I wouldn't be afraid to run one on anything I could fit it on.

I love my 3 Predators. The non Hemi I have on my log splitter works very well, is easy on fuel and after setting nearly 12 months will start on 2 or some times if I for got to turn the switch on 3 pulls.

Have a hemi version on a road side pick up MTD 24 inch snow blower and it also works very well turning the impeller so well I throw slushy snow a good 25 feet. It also starts on 2 pulls if I remembered the switch and some times even on the first pull. Only issue I've ever had with it is the fuel tank venting just was not working well. I cut the vent hose and installed a hose T in it to provide more venting and that problem stopped.

the 3d one is on a Troy Built Tomahawk chipper shredder I did the fuel tank vent mod and it is a once or twice pull start. Goes thru the brush I stuff in it a whole lot better than the 5 hp Tec. ever did. sure would not think It was only a horse and a half more power.

I don't know any one with one who has had a problem with them that was not of their own makeing. One fellow I know was complaining he had about pulled his arm off trying to start it. Once his son added some oil to it it started right up.

Me I some times for get that switch down their on the side and will crank them a few times before remembering.

if they ever add a electric start to the 6.5 engines they may have problem keeping them in stock.

Went and got the Sno Tec yesterday. Got it home and removed the shrouding around the carb. Removed the carb float bowl, and float. Removed the main jet and emucltion tube, both cluged with a fine black gunk. Removed the low idle speed jet it also clogged, drilled it out to the next over size hole as suggest in several you tubes to prevent surging. Cleaned the main jet more of that black gunk, same with the emulction tube. Removed the fuel line from the carb and let it flow seemed slow to me. Once it was dry I removed the fuel pick up tube with the fine mesh screen a tiny bit of gunk in the screen so cleaned that, installed some new fuel line I had put it back together.

Dumped a gallon of new fuel in and some sea foam and it started right up. Haven't installed the shrouding yet. Kicking around adding a T in the fuel line with a shut off valve and a short bit of hose. Seasons end can drain the tank really quick with the deverter valve and hose.

I don't know if that black gunk came from the hose or not just replaced it while I had easy excess to it.

it is a 208 LC some thing or other. Does a real good job when running.
Seems to be a pouplar snow thrower too.

I have run 2 or 3 of the Predator engines. Had a 12 hp on the wood spliter. Only issue was the hang power was not what the old cast iron 10 hp Briggs would do. Other than that no problem.

Ran the Sno Tec yesterday. 3.5 inches of rain soaked snow in high gear never fased it.
Isn't bad really.

Found two gas stations in this area that sell what they call REC gas, Non ethnol. think I will buy a drum (55g) full for all the small 2 strokes and four strokes.

NON Ethanol shouldn't go bad. But I use it in 4 chain saws, 2 snow blowers, leaf blower, string trimmer, z turn mower hand mower and a lot more.
I am not sure 55 gallons would last me 6 months.

Al, the only thing to worry about is condensation in the drum over the time it takes to use it. All of our fuel tanks that we've had over the years always condensated so we had to either run a separator/filter on the horizontal tanks or leave the pickup off the bottom of the vertical tanks and drain them every so often to get rid of the water. It's amazing how much moisture is brought into the tanks when air is vented in as you let fuel out of the tank.

Your idea of buying in quality is a good idea as long as you watch for moisture issues from extended storage time.

On the farm the tank always leaned back away from thre drain. Dad would along about end of Sept drain them into 5 gallon cans then pour the water off.

Then have them filled up for the winter and add a dry gas, we didn't use a lot of gasoline in the winter maybe 50 gallons. then Us boys got to snow,mobileing so we used gas out of the fuel tank for our sleds.

Back