Snow Blower vs Front Loader

I have both and wouldn't want to be without either. If I had to have only one it would be the blower. The snow just goes away with no big piles to melt in the spring and it's much easier to move the blown snow if you have to move it again.

Out here a blower just causes a secondary blizzard because of constant wind which I'm not willing to be in the middle of---LOL! My driveway is only 100 feet long or so too so pushing with a blade is no big deal, and I have enough room on both sides, just have to shove it out a ways from the beginning.

Fun video to watch Chris, you folks that live in rural settings like that need the options! I can see Noel needing a blower too since his drive way has thick trees on one side. and his house and yard are on the other.

DAC

Out here a blower just causes a secondary blizzard because of constant wind which I'm not willing to be in the middle of---LOL! My driveway is only 100 feet long or so too so pushing with a blade is no big deal, and I have enough room on both sides, just have to shove it out a ways from the beginning.

Fun video to watch Chris, you folks that live in rural settings like that need the options! I can see Noel needing a blower too since his drive way has thick trees on one side. and his house and yard are on the other.

DAC
Two things I learned about blowing snow in SD, keep the blower chute pointed low and blow in the same direction the wind is blowing!

wind always seems to be an issue in Alberta.... I used to wear a full face snowmobile helmet while using the Cub 1862 with a blower.... I still have a near new cond blower for my Columbia but the 54" plow is much faster and doesnt create a storm.

Blower and bucket on one tractor would be my choice. There have been times that I could of used a loader with a bucket to pull the banks down so I could use the blower. Having a power operated, either electric motor or hydraulic, top chute defector helps greatly to where you want to put the snow. And keep it from blowing back on you. If I only used a blade I’d have plies against the woods and then have no where to push it. Even with the blowers I get big banks. And it would take 3 times as long to do my driveway with a bucket or plow.
My father all ways said, you gotta have some where to put the next snow storm.

Noel

I have both and would not want to be w/o either. I don't think I will put the thrower on the tractor this year. Have a good 24" 2 stage blower that is needed for the close areas, paths to bird feeder and down to the animal barn. To tight for the loader and you don't try to move snow going downhill towards a fence with a tractor. Tractor and loadwer for the drive as I can clear the whole drive out na ddup it in the grader ditch across the road. Never have to move it twice. Location, and picking the right time to do the job makes a big difference. Don't try to move snow when the wind is blow 40+.

Two things I learned about blowing snow in SD, keep the blower chute pointed low and blow in the same direction the wind is blowing!
Maybe in Pierre the wind direction is predictable. Seems like it comes out of all directions at once west of there 175 miles---LOL! I've never used a tractor mounted one, but I had a big old walk behind I used for several winters. That thing was a back breaker and I got tired of being completely covered in snow no matter what I tried. That engine is now where it belongs---on a tractor! MF12G came with a blower but never mounted it.

DAC

Maybe in Pierre the wind direction is predictable. Seems like it comes out of all directions at once west of there 175 miles---LOL! I've never used a tractor mounted one, but I had a big old walk behind I used for several winters. That thing was a back breaker and I got tired of being completely covered in snow no matter what I tried. That engine is now where it belongs---on a tractor! MF12G came with a blower but never mounted it.

DAC
It mostly came from the west, but it would change up at odd times, good thing my blower tractor had a cab on it!

I have a soft cab for a Bolens tractor that had bad windows. Plastic broke, scratched bad, et. took the plastic out to cut new plastic to put back in but that is as far as I got. Has the hard top to it.

there was a homebuilt cab on my Bolens RaM when I got it from my uncle back in the 80s... that was nice with a blower... dry and warm complete with a manual windshield wiper. IF I ever want to put the blower on the Columbia I will have to build a cab first ;)

Back