Solenoid won't start when grounded to metal frame

GreenerDays

Hello, first time posting so pardon if I'm not posting correctly and so forth..

Issue: Solenoid showing 13V across both posts and energizer when NOT grounded to frame (ungrounded) But once I ground it to the frame I continue to get the 13V to HOT post and nothing at energizer. Then when I go to start I get milli-amps
at the energize and nothing passes to the starter side of the solenoid. At first I was getting Buzzing, now nothing to the starter side, no voltage there at all.

Ground clean to metal on battery, all terminals cleaned, battery full, solenoid properly working, starter properly working.( I have 2 of each, all working) Key switch tested, PTO relay tested but not the pto switch although clicks on/off.
So I figure it's bad ground somewhere or a bad wire. So before I dug into each wire which I don't want to do.. figured I'd ask here, and the help is super appreciated, day 3 of troubleshooting, nothing yet.

Again, Solenoid won't click on when grounded to metal frame (3 post).

Help?

Is it showing 13v across both input & output posts without hotting the "energizing post " ?

If so ... your solenoid is bad ... or you've got the Hot > In on the wrong post.

Odd..
I would mount it and hook the two cables up on the large terminals (One from battery other to starter)
Then take a different ( jumper) wire from battery to the small terminal on solenoid and see what happens. Should pull in...
Let us know.. There's a fix for that..

Back