Spare tires!

MFDAC

Tractorologist
A few weeks ago one of my co-workers replaced all 4 tires on a Kubota ZTR the summer help guy uses for mowing around the plant we work at. This morning I noticed there were GT type tires in the scrap tire pile. I never figured that ZTR would use a tire that would work on any of my GT's though. I had to check as they would be going to the dump soon. Rears were junk but even though the profile looked too small, the fronts are the same size as the MF1450 uses on the rear! They have a lot of tread yet and not all weather cracked up like the tires I have! Had to grab them before they went to the dump!

DAC

DSCN3854.JPG DSCN3856.JPG DSCN3857.JPG

I made a (too long) drive for a set of free tires that were advertised off of CL/ that actually came from a Yard man, but happened to be the same size as my Deere LT166 takes. the originals on that machine were all split and dry rotted, obviously had sat flat on the machine that hadn't moved, in too long... not even tube-able. the guy claimed these tires from CL all held air, the rears did/ the fronts had a couple of cracks in the sidewalls that gave me doubts... and they didn't/ so the "new" fronts got tubed and all good... sure better than spending what Farm and Fleet wants for 4 new ones.....
cost me almost 1/2 a tank of gas round trip, (about what 1 new front would have costed) and 2 tubes for those fronts..... borderline "worth it" to go after them, or not.... but seemed worth it to me at the time, made my decision on whether to yank the engine and scrap the rest or whether to fix and revive, easier. but I wanted to run it, and try the trans, etc/ and see if it worked, before I put any more into it .

Thanks, guys! Even though the MF 1450 had been sitting out in the weather for more years than the previous owner could remember, all 4 tires hold air. All 4 tires are also hard as a rock and full of cracks. How they are holding air is beyond me! Glad to get some fresher rears though as those tires are bound to give up the ghost most any time!

I'm a dumpster diver from way back also! Yeah Sarge, one of the benefits of my job working for the city is that sometimes I get to take advantage of government waste. Think I posted on here a year or two ago that all of the old style DeWalt cordless tools went in the dumpster when they upgraded and i got tipped off by the guy that was told to throw them away. That was my best score from the work dumpster I think! The metal scrap gets good sometimes too!

DAC

Thanks, guys! Even though the MF 1450 had been sitting out in the weather for more years than the previous owner could remember, all 4 tires hold air. All 4 tires are also hard as a rock and full of cracks. How they are holding air is beyond me! Glad to get some fresher rears though as those tires are bound to give up the ghost most any time!

I'm a dumpster diver from way back also! Yeah Sarge, one of the benefits of my job working for the city is that sometimes I get to take advantage of government waste. Think I posted on here a year or two ago that all of the old style DeWalt cordless tools went in the dumpster when they upgraded and i got tipped off by the guy that was told to throw them away. That was my best score from the work dumpster I think! The metal scrap gets good sometimes too!

DAC
I work for a university, and used to be an Army supply sergeant (thus the username!), so I know all about government waste! Glad someone is benefitting from it.

I work for a university, and used to be an Army supply sergeant (thus the username!), so I know all about government waste! Glad someone is benefitting from it.
My Mom worked at Ellsworth Air Force base from the 60's to the mid 1980's as a civil service employee at base supply. When we lost everything in a flood in 1972, her "Supply Sergeant" made sure she got essentials we needed to get on our feet again. Still grateful for all the help she got during that time from those in charge in supply at EAFB.

DAC

As a cook at different Air Force Bases under SAC, the first people I learned to make friends with was base supply, Air Police, and OSI (Office of Special Investigations) When back in high school I dated a girl from the neighbor town, Her Dad was a Lt Corneal and Asst. Base Commander when I was at Madrid, Spain. First time the mess Sgt. saw us sitting drinking coffee in the mess hall he came unglued.

As a cook at different Air Force Bases under SAC, the first people I learned to make friends with was base supply, Air Police, and OSI (Office of Special Investigations) When back in high school I dated a girl from the neighbor town, Her Dad was a Lt Corneal and Asst. Base Commander when I was at Madrid, Spain. First time the mess Sgt. saw us sitting drinking coffee in the mess hall he came unglued.
Did you ever serve at Ellsworth, Roger? It's a SAC base.

DAC

You are welcome. Personally, I think that all high school drop outs should automatically go into the service. If they don't respect discipline in school, which is why 99% of them drop out, they darn sure will after a couple years military training. They stay in till they receive their GED of 2 years service.

Back