Spreading manure on the fields

Boy, I can almost smell the scenery. Good country air. That’s what was used behind my parents house when I was a kid. A Farmall and same type of spreader. Was all hay field then, all Beepin houses now.
Thanks for the videos.

Noel

Done that a few times in years gone by. We had and later I bought a Kelly Ryan spreader, single beater. Would spread it nice till the load got close to being empty. Then it wanted to throw it back into the box. Corn cobs was a lot of fun with a near empty box.

Lot of cattle in this area so come and get a semi load and sell it off, they unload. Neighbor don't spread any more. Lets the cattle to that naturally.. Cow calf operation with around 1K head open range.

I have a huge pile of old silage I need to spread some day. When I get to it, I'm sure I'll enjoy doing it. Some will go on my garden, the rest on grass hay ground. I'll keep part of it for future garden use. Even spreading manure has a certain "good smell", but only farmers will understand me on that one! LOL

I have a huge pile of old silage I need to spread some day. When I get to it, I'm sure I'll enjoy doing it. Some will go on my garden, the rest on grass hay ground. I'll keep part of it for future garden use. Even spreading manure has a certain "good smell", but only farmers will understand me on that one! LOL
I think the same thing when I walk into a dairy barn...

Done that a few times in years gone by. We had and later I bought a Kelly Ryan spreader, single beater. Would spread it nice till the load got close to being empty. Then it wanted to throw it back into the box. Corn cobs was a lot of fun with a near empty box.

Our spreader is a J.I. Case model 125 PTO driven. We use to use an old ground drive David Bradley spreader that my grandpa had. It would tend to skid the drive wheels when the ground got wet. Tried a neighbors New Holland ground drive and it would do the same thing on our slick clay soil.

Those small ATV spreaders that are belt driven do the same thing. Had a neighbor that had goats and he bought one first load he had his kids fork off as it would not unload it on frozen ground.

Had an insurance agent tell me that once. Told him I would dump a load on his drive and see if it smelt like money then since he liked money so well. "Oh no, no, no. don't do that" was his reply.

Ground driven ones need a flywheel that helps them . We had an old NH ground driven unit as well and it even had tractor tires on backwards and still skidded on snow and frozen ground so my grand-pappy fashioned a flywheel off some old implement to it so it got that spinning pretty easy and then you engaged the feed and off it would go! Spread chicky doop like no bodies business! Even used it later on to spread cow flap but that nasty stuff rotted it to death because it was so danged wet all the time...the chicky doop was actually pretty dry as he kept his coops well covered with sawdust so it sucked the moisture out of all the turds ... actually didn't really smell that bad either. But when we would get the stuff from another chicken place years later....... OH MY WORD DID IT STINK! And was wet and STTTIIICCCKKKYYYY Awful stuff.... but boys did it make stuff grow!

I remember it would click like crazy when you stopped or slowed down. I remember spinning it by hand to clean out the spreader after scraping off the stuck cucka after gramps was done spreading and cleaning things up to put away.

I always LOVED the smell of a dairy farm. It’s nothing like a stockyard, pig farm, chicken farm.....

I remember spreading manure on my uncle’s farm long ago. He had an old rusty barrel-shaped spreader, shaft with chains down the center front to back, threw the stuff out the right side. The hinged covers that you would close were so eaten up that they did little to direct the juice straight out the side....... so...... there was a raincoat on that tractor!

Ahhhhhh, good times!

Back