Started work on the 1950 Economy

Getting close to the end of things I'm going to do to 1950 Economy today I got the HUSCO hydraulic unit belt tightener completed painted and installed and it works good, changed how the left foot rest is mounted to lower it an inch or so that made it much better, installed a US Flag on the front of the engine, have a couple of things left to do need to install a transmission shifter boot and work on getting the generator working need to order a length of link belt for it have a charger on an old 6 volt battery to see if it will take enough charge to see if the generator will charge not going to buy a new 6 volt battery at this time

HPIM1454.JPGHPIM1455.JPGHPIM1456.JPGHPIM1457.JPGHPIM1458.JPG

Last edited:
The transmission shifter boot was missing on the trans OEM was I think some kind of grommet referred to as the witches hat anyway finding them has become a challenge and I had been looking of an alternative and had looked at the shifter boot used on so Wheelhorse tractors then a few weeks ago it was discussed on a FB group so I thought I'd give it a try, ordered one and it came yesterday so this morning I installed it I like it this is what I'll be using in the future when needed
HPIM1461.JPGHPIM1462.JPGHPIM1463.JPGHPIM1464.JPG

That sure is an interesting looking tractor. The front axle and steering compared to a new tractor sure gives a walk back through history.

I worked on getting the generator up and going, I ordered a 4L/1/2" link belt as the belt that was on the tractor was old dry rotted and it broke but I found the 1/2" link belt was slightly larger than 1/2" and the engine & generator pulleys were a bit less than 1/2" so the 1/2" belt does not sit and run flat or level in the pulleys but I was able to run the engine and generator and it charged at about 5 amps, to back up some yesterday I had the generator off and checked it out it was nice and clean inside and the voltage regulator looked like new, so I polarized and flashed the fields so today's run was good had it connected to a 6 volt battery as all the numbers on the gen & VR say they are 6 volt anyway I checked the voltage as it was charging and to my surprise it was indicating 14/15 VDC so I connected it to the 12 volt battery and it was charging at 5 amps and the voltage was 14/15 volts so I think that at sometime in the past the regulator was adjusted to charge 12 volt batteries, and I fine with that I don't have to buy a 6 volt battery but I did order a length of 3L link belt.
HPIM1467.JPGHPIM1468.JPGHPIM1470.JPG

Today I was taking it easy and only doing small easy things like removed the paint off the engine data tag (it really irritates me when someone paints over data tags) anyway got the orange paint off, of course that removed the printed instructions on the tag but that was gone anyway fortunately the SN spec number and the bore & stroke numbers are stamped into the tag.

Also the lift cylinder leaked out the vent hole, this system uses a one way cylinder so it had to be leaking past the piston seal so decided to see if I could get the cylinder apart to see what was wrong, got the cylinder off the tractor and secured it in the vise the cylinder has a ID of 1.25" the base mount end is welded the other end cap is threaded I was a bit worried that it would be just about impossible to get it off but I got a large pipe wrench on it and gave it a turn to my surprise it came loose screwed the cap off pulled the piston and rod out> This is a simple cup type seal and it looked good so I went to remove it to check it out better well when I put the 3/4" wrench on the retaining nut I discovered it was loose but took it all apart and inspected it all was fine reassembled it tightened the retaining nut and staked it to lock it in place reassembled the cylinder installed it and tried it out a number time and the leak has been taken care of big smile on my face

HPIM1422.JPGHPIM1450.JPG

Got the 3L linkbelt a couple of days ago so this morning I installed it the 3L fit into the pulley V as good as it gets ran the engine and it runs true and the generator generates, hitched up the plow (just in case we get a January thaw) well really to test how well the lift is working and if there were any leaks all was / is good I like this old tractor and just may look for a set of gang reel mowers as that was sold with this tractor back in 1950.

HPIM1472.JPGHPIM1474.JPGHPIM1475.JPGHPIM1476.JPGHPIM1477.JPG

Back