Tecumseh OH160 compression release not working

esbbent

Tractorologist
I have been rebuilding a tech oh160 with new piston and rings. After installing the head I go to check to see if it will turn over and the starter will turn it until the compression stroke and stops. I take the spark plug out and the starter will turn the engine fine. I double checked the valve clearance and even set the exhaust one to the tight side of the specs. That didn't help. I know there is a ACR on the cam is there any adjustment to it? Or am I to the point of buying a new cam. I bought the engine as a non runner.

I will have to get my dial indicator set up on it. I couldn't see any movement on the exhaust valve
Not sure how much it moves (I'm sure not much and not for long) but you should see some movement with a dial indicator.
Or for some reason or other its not working.
Hopefully some others come on and gives a little more input. Sure someone has experience with these..

I did some more research and an article I came across said to set the valves at a tighter clearance. I set the exhaust to .008 vs .010, the engine now turns over all the way with no lock up on compression. I need to finish putting it back together and build the GM HEI ignition conversion to make sure it will run. A few months back I made the GM HEI ignition conversions for a OH140, the OH140 runs good. Now to find a tractor or 2 to put them in....:)

Glad to hear it is working.

Post up the HEI system build, I've heard people have high rpm issues sometimes.

I tried contacting Ed Stoller about his LSx crank trigger, but never heard back. I think his health is bad, if he is even still with us.

Back