That noisy garage door is no more

My son and his buddy came by last night to use our welder for a little job. I went out to the garage to have a yarn and the first thing he said when I walked in was "did you know you have a rat in here?"
I said "what do you think all the cheese is for?"

Nice fix floater. Haven't seen they style of roll up door in a long time.

I have a door that needs something. Been in for 19 years and last fall it started to keep working to one side. Gets so far then when the door is about 2' from closed it stops and goes back up. I can grab the door and shift it to the other side and it is good for a dozen or so cycles. Tried changing the spring tension about 1/2 turn on the torsion spring and didn't help any. Might have to break down and try U Tube but I know I will get sent 40 different directions before I get close to what I want.

Nice fix glad you weren't hurt too bad could have been worse. Garage doors can be dangerous especially with the old wind up tension springs. My dad almost had the top of his head removed one time. We were inside of a semi trailer. Dad just pulled the door down, turned to walk deeper inside the trailer we were in & the overhead spring broke. Everytime I get next to one of them things I think about that.

Nice fix floater. Haven't seen they style of roll up door in a long time.

I have a door that needs something. Been in for 19 years and last fall it started to keep working to one side. Gets so far then when the door is about 2' from closed it stops and goes back up. I can grab the door and shift it to the other side and it is good for a dozen or so cycles. Tried changing the spring tension about 1/2 turn on the torsion spring and didn't help any. Might have to break down and try U Tube but I know I will get sent 40 different directions before I get close to what I want.
When you find out what is wrong post it here as it sounds like my door. Mine started doing the catching and b going back up about 3 years ago, the spring on that side was loose and the wheel the cable ran on the bearings were gone, changed the wheel and tightened the spring and it worked good for a year and a half and now it is back doing the same thing with a new twist of not wanting to go up sometimes. Only been in for 23 years.

Will do. May mess with it this afternoon some a it is warm enough to work without gloves on for a change. Been getting by just shifting to the right (from inside) . I am thinking it has to be spring weakening or post moving.

Back