Those of you who have done a crawler conversion

Greasy6020

Tractorologist
How did you make the steering brakes? Why that way?

Have a bit of a tragic story behind why I’m asking...

The tragic story, I was driving home from showing a buddy’s dad the moto mower. Ended up falling asleep at the wheel of the farm truck, put it on its side in the ditch. Moto mower got launched from the box, destroying the cast front axle and one of the hubs from the landing

Since I refuse to scrap the moto mower, and I happened upon a really good deal on atv tracks, I’m gonna do a crawler conversion on it instead of finding a front axle

I haven't built one, but I would think if you have an open differential in the back, you could put a brake on each the front track wheels for turning.
Most that are scratched built use old zero turn belt driven hydraulic motor to run the tracks.

Best to use ZTR hydro systems as Marty said. The spider gears in GT's just won't hold up well under such a heavy load.

Hmm... maybe I’ll have to build/modify a front axle then... still dunno what I’m gonna do hub wise

Don't give up on the moto mower I've seen a few on Craigslist for sale cheap put it behind the shed and keep a eye open for parts

shipping will kill me. I’m 8 hours from the nearest major city... but yes that’s something to keep in mind

If its the same rearend as a Massey Executive they have the whimpiest high gear you can imagine. 1st and 2nd might do OK but I bet the extra strain of a crawler track on 3rd would break something real quick.
Yea I’m not looking have “extra neutrals”

granted for all the dumb stuff I did with the moto mower before Ihad any grasp on how rare it was,3rd gear has held up good

Back