Tiller Idea

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I have 2 of the Jacobsen 59713 32" Tillers. Thinking of using one for modification to a 3-point mount and be self powered. Do you think an 8 HP Kohler or B&S would run it okay? Or I have a 16 HP Cast iron B&S, but it's rather large. Here's the PDF for the tiller:

Attachments

• Jacobsen 32in tiller 59713.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
How much hp were the tractors it fits. I'd say 8 hp would be good. I have an 8 hp Tecumseh on my rear 36' snowthrower and it works fine.

Noel

My tiller tractor is 10hp Kohler. Works fine. It rarely bogs down, only if dirt is quite wet.

013 (Small).JPG

I'll probably use the Briggs 8 HP. Kohler needs a battery to run the ignition. It will be offset to the RH side as my 3-point tractors are at least 42" wide at the tires.

MiCarl, I deleted one of your double posts, but it took both out. Sorry!

Didn't mean to double post.....

What I said was I had a 48" Rotospader powered by a tired 8hp Briggs and it had plenty of power.
It happens. Don't know why it deleted both posts though. Wanted your post back in the thread!

It'll take some noodling to figure out! Since it's so narrow, I'll have to make sure it covers one tire track and just go one direction when using.

Can you take an old junk tiller with close to the same diameter tines and widen the tiller out to cover both wheel tracks? My sears has a 5.5 hp Wards (B&S) engine and it covers the full width of the G16Xl tractor. You will have to half lap each pass to cover the ceter strip missed by the gear box any way..

Can you take an old junk tiller with close to the same diameter tines and widen the tiller out to cover both wheel tracks? My sears has a 5.5 hp Wards (B&S) engine and it covers the full width of the G16Xl tractor. You will have to half lap each pass to cover the ceter strip missed by the gear box any way..
This tiller has the gearbox to the LH side, shaft goes all the way across. Not sure if the gear box would handle that much more shaft & tines in the ground! Thought I had a pic of it somewhere!

OK, that does make a difference. Mine has the gearbox in the middle. Actually the gear box is on top with Neutral, low, high and reverse. Chain drive down to the driven shaft. Belt drive from the motor to the gear box. Had a picture of it but when I had to switch to W10 all my photos, documents, etc got put in one place. W10 thinks everything that is not a program is a photo and threw them all together. Been hunting and sorting for 3 months and no end in sight.

Back