Time for the Spring Startup

cjet69

Tractorologist
Our loader tractors are run every week or two during the winter but most of the others sit idle for 3-5 months. With spring here I decided this weekend would be a good time to see which will start and which will need some attention. Started with the Farmall H and found a dead battery. Charged it and it fired right up. Moved on to the Farmall A hand start. Cranked it about 6-7 time with out a pop. Checked fuel and the tank was dry. Could have sworn it had several gallons last time it was used. Put gas in and it fired up. Next up was the John Deere B hand start. About the 3rd pull it popped but then nothing. Spark looked weak so I filed the points and then it started. Now it was the John Deere 40's turn. Another dead battery so I charged it overnight. Put it back in the tractor and it cranked good but no fire. I could see some water and crud in the sediment bowl. Cleaned it out but couldn't get any fuel flow out of the tank. I tried to blow back through the fuel line into the tank with no luck. Ran home and got my air tank and a valve stem. Put the valve stem over the fuel line and hit it with the air. Took several shots but finally blew back into the tank. Now with fuel flow I went for startup again. It fired, coughed and sputtered for a bit, and then died. I could see more water and crud in the bowl now so I drained it and the carb bowl. This time the fuel looked much cleaner going into the bowl. Tried to start and only one pop. Pulled the plugs to see if they were fouled. They were damp but plenty good enough to run. Put the plugs back in and it still didn't want to run. Check for spark and had some but not great. Filed up the points and it came to life. The Farmall M just need some gas to get it going. This tractor does have a slow fuel leak. I think its leaking past the shutoff valve. Last up was the Ford 851. It fired right up and ran for under a minute. Looked in the tank and it was dry.

With so many of the tractors being completely out of fuel I have to wonder are they all leaking or is someone getting some cheap fuel. Anyway I got this batch of tractors running again and ready for the upcoming farm work.

Attachments

• GOPR4460-m.jpg
    GOPR4460-m.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 8
  • GOPR4462-m.jpg
    GOPR4462-m.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 7
  • GOPR4463-m.jpg
    GOPR4463-m.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 6
  • GOPR4464-m.jpg
    GOPR4464-m.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 6
  • GOPR4465-m.jpg
    GOPR4465-m.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 7
  • GOPR4466-m.jpg
    GOPR4466-m.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 8
Parked outside on the farm so it wouldn't be to hard to siphon fuel out. I really need to check the fuel shutoff valve and make sure these aren't slowly leaking out. We know the Farmall M does have a leak.
We're talking some iron there but which one is your favorite to get on and work with..?
I'm thinking I'd like that little ford as being pretty comfortable.

We're talking some iron there but which one is your favorite to get on and work with..?
I'm thinking I'd like that little ford as being pretty comfortable.
It really depends on what you are doing but its hard to beat the Farmall H for comfort. It just seems to fit nice with a comfortable seat and easy to steer. Almost like driving a car.

Hate to say, but sounds like fuel thieves, and it's likely to get worse.
We've had to deal with it before. Use to have a bunch of meth heads around and once they were cleared out it got better. Gas is anywhere from $4.53 to $4.90 around here now so I'm sure theft will become more and more of a problem. Just won't be able to put more in the tractors than we expect to use for the day.

Back