Time to downsize

hamman

Tractorologist
This fall while straightening out the big garage for the winter I see project tractors that are a short bit away from running and a couple that need a lot of work.
At my age it get a little harder to get out in the cold to get things done in the garage. I have decide to thin out the her a bit. All of my projects have some sentimental value and probably very little monetary value to me. I have sold a lot of stuff in the past for less than what I have paid for it, that's ok because i would rather have it used than sit around and be scrapped.
I will keep all my Homelite , Sears, Jacobsen and Cub Cadet tractors but all the others will go to good homes. I already have homes picked for them. That will leave me with three project Homelite T-16 H and one cub Cadet 1650 projects. All others are running. and being used periodically. I also have three Allis Chalmers Farm tractors, 1942 WC on rear steel with a WD motor, a 1947 WC and a 1950 WD. Enough to keep me busy. My son just told me this week he will be insulating the garage and building a wall and helping concrete the floor so we can work on projects. He also wants to put in a wood floor where I have my wood working tools. This project has been in the works since 2010 when we built the garage. I will be hanging a furnace in the garage to help warm it up until we can get the insulation and ceiling up.
Sounds like a big job but not really. Just time now to do it and get it done.

Time comes for all of us to decide what stays and what goes. I went through it several years ago and was glad when it was over. I think you going to like the extra space and not having a bunch of projects staring you in the face. I know I sure did.
Good luck with the upcoming updates on your garage.

Doing some house cleaning myself. A scrapper coming Sunday to clean up a big scrap pile outside. Have a mower deck, a bust tiller, front blade that fits ??? 3 sections of a steel OH door that I don't need. Track, etc. for a 16' door. This will all be added to the pile. Will make room for the mowers in the back on wood pallets.

It's a tough thing to do. I did it when my parents passed fairly close together. All the projects my father and I planned stopped when their health started to fail. When they were gone, I had to sell their farm and all of the gts, compact and farm tractors and equipment. I lived in suburbia at the time. No room for anything. I put the word out through a couple of dad's acquaintances. What didn't sell I gave to interested parties. It almost all went. I worked out a deal with the person who bought their farm to store what was left and it was only a modern Mahindra from dad's last purchases and some farm equipment.
You will enjoy the extra space. Looking back, there were so many projects between the two of us, I would have never finished them all. At the point when the barn was half empty, the difference was astounding.
Good luck with the downsizing.

Every time I liquidate I buy more stuff with the cash flow generated by the sale of the stuff I liquidated...

I got rid of 2 bikes recently then go buy a new one.

I hate to say I'd be fine getting rid of all the tractors except 3 or 4. Dad wants to hang onto them. Which is fine.

yeah I have been talking about getting rid of a few for a while.... but then I gained a few more, and still have all I ever had...
but when I last tried to sell anything all I got were crickets........ besides complaints about being too far from a potential interested person.... "not anyone's fault" there. but nothing left here.

Now, I've run em all a good bit since, and all need attention before i can try again..... I have 1 for sure that aint goin anywhere, and the rest are up for debate as to what stays/ what goes....
This Dixon and the LT166 Deere I got this year will be going away for sure, by next spring.... the Yard man, rough as it is, I've been running hard almost to the point of abuse, when the deck finishes falling apart, the engine will come off and the rest of that one will go to scrap....
the Lawn Boy snowblower, I still have to look into whether it would be worth to fix (supposedly only needs a drive disc according to PO if true I will be fixing it and then it can go away)
The Husquavarna, I just found a great transplant candidate yesterday, after which it can go....which was the plan, ever since it got pushed here from across the road.
My Ariens GT19s, the P/S one is staying for sure..... the GT19 minus P/S, the GT16, and theNew Holland version are the ones I'm debating about what stays/goes..... and I'd really like to keep the Cub 129..... but it could probably go, too if push came to shove.
I definitely want to sell the snow plow that I have for the Ariens, and have tried for 2 winters now and again... crickets, while I see others wanting more for theirs, sell seemingly fast...... for more $ than I ever asked for mine.....
I also have a David Bradley Handiman (1959 model) with a snowplow attachment and (I think) a tiller attachment, that I got running for the PO about 15 years ago after which it went back in teh shed, never to come out from teh shed til the PO died and the widow moved out...... plans are to take the time to get it going again then probably sell it.....
and here I am probably gonna be gaining a Swisher 44' trail mower in teh coming few days to do an engine transplant onto then "what to do" with it.... I do have a use for it, but not the room to store in between.

I found a place for the Montgomery Wards LT we call Howie in remembrance to our neighbor who passed away and w inherited. It will go to my sister and her husband for a property they just bought to mow with. I want to concentrate on my wood shop and getting it up and running, finishing off the space and using it more.
We will get the Allis Chalmers farm tractors running and keep them. Just time to concentrate on other things.

Back