Tire repair experiment

Why not just wrap the whole thing in good electrical tape?

We wrap cables at the mine with electrical tape all the time. Stretch it good and wrap over lapping 50% each wrap.
Having done electric work for eight years, I would suggest the heavier rubber tape first, it is made for higher voltage and amperage wire. Then over wrap with regular electric tape.

Having done electric work for eight years, I would suggest the heavier rubber tape first, it is made for higher voltage and amperage wire. Then over wrap with regular electric tape.

Typically we use 130c rubber tape with electric tape over it on 480v and up. Depends on the damage. If it's a slight gouge that doesn't go all the way into the conductors or a scuffs (these are drag cables behind equipment) they get just tape.

For welding lead it would just be taped up. 1 layer of electrical tape is good for 600v as I've been told when I took the splicing class years ago.

Why not just wrap the whole thing in good electrical tape?

We wrap cables at the mine with electrical tape all the time. Stretch it good and wrap over lapping 50% each wrap.
We used a system in the shipyards that involved a raw rubber tape and a liquid tape that would chemically cure the raw rubber. It was very effective and very expensive. The quality of electrical tape available seems to drop every year. In 1966 I used black vinal electrical tape to hold the headlight in my Honda 90. I had to replace that tape in 1971, 1972, and twice in 1973. At this time I don't know where to find good electrical tape.
Don

Also, if you were closer, I have an extra set of leads. Large wire and real heavy! I can barely carry both at once!
I don't do enough any more to need those big boy leads. Used lots of 4 aught lead in the past but now 2 gauge is more than sufficient. I haven't used an air arc since 04 and don't expect to. I have 2 that I should get rid of.
Don

You will probably hate this video, it is the longest one I have done, but once I get the rim seals figured out I'll continue with the test "hopefully". This is a full day of work on the tire experiment. Need to get this going as we had rain and I need to mow soon. I think this video was too long, but I wanted to show the process I go through on these tires. Almost midnight here so I'll check back in the morning.

Thanks Larry for your time on this experiment. That will keep the rest of us from using that. Sorry it didn’t work for you. Keep thinking and trying. I’m interested. I have 11 tractors and 2 trailers, a finish mower with 4 tires, a manure spreader with 2 tires, estate rake with 2 tires, wood splitter with 2 tires and other things with tires. Thanks again for your effort.

Noel

Yeah like Noel said, thanks for the tire experiment videos. You got me tired just watching you on the floor wrestling that old tire on the rim! Sure did look like those new, more flexable tires were nowhere near the battle to put on, Larry!

DAC

Thanks! The new tires were way more flexible, especially leaving them in the sun while I installed the new battery. They took air right away, and the beads popped right around 25 psi. I did run them up to 40 psi since I had the setup still there. Everything looks good, and I lowered them to 18 and will check in the morning. Front's are new also from last year. RED should be good to go for a while now.

Back