Trailer lighting tester

jason silliker

Jason Emerald P.E.I. Canada
I made this a few years ago had it out today fixing the neighbours trailer thought I’d throw it on here. Works great for testing trailer lighting without having to have a vehicle hooked up. Just a little plastic toolbox couple signal light flashers little fuse box and switches. Maybe 15 bucks in parts, saves a lot of hassle. Hooks up to a battery. Funny thing was I used it on his trailer to install new lights. plugged the trailer into his truck before he left and got him to try it and he had blown a fuse while playing around with the old lights glad I got him a check before he left lol. Newer truck so even smaller micro fuses.

Attachments

• E4F12F44-813A-4F86-B83C-3A3F2C005907.jpeg
    E4F12F44-813A-4F86-B83C-3A3F2C005907.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 36
  • D78395BF-A9D0-4F83-B0C4-49241E6D1BBE.jpeg
    D78395BF-A9D0-4F83-B0C4-49241E6D1BBE.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 35
I probably could have used one of those today. Bought a 10 tilt bed trailrr a couple week sago. Lights looked like new but were reusted iside and the brass bars were broke loose. Ordered a pair of LED lights. Had 3 wires coming from each one, a red ,black and green. Thinking "green is ground the world around" started to installl them. Could not get any light to work with any combination. Out came the .2 amp battry charger. Found out green is not ground. Black is ground and green is right tun signal and brake light. The red wire is for the tail or running lights. Trailer wiring had 3 wires black, yellow and green. Color match wasnt even close and still no lights. Kept messing with wires and got the left one working ok hooked to the truck. Had tail lights and left turn. Started on the other sie and nothing. Checked theleft side and nothing. Then it dawned on me TILT DECK. Main frame is grounded OK but that ground is not going through the tilt hinge. 2- 1/4" holes, xome bolts nuts and lock washers flexable wire and wire connectors and had a ground jumper wire beetween the frame and trailer deck frame. Back to hooking up the right side. Still nothing. Found a broken brown, which is the taillights. OK got that fixed. Still no stop or turn. More wire checking. right in the middle of the flat trailer harness under the trailet between the two lgihts there is a piece about a foot long missing in the green wire, which is the right stop and turn. I was done for the day, back was killing me, my knees hurt, and my mind was shot. Packed up the tools, moved the trailer out of the way so vehicles can get in and out, can in washed up a bit and watched the race. Will finish it up tomorrow evening or Tuesday. Would have been a lot easier to put the magnetic trailering lights on and go. except they had the wrong plug .

I made this a few years ago had it out today fixing the neighbours trailer thought I’d throw it on here. Works great for testing trailer lighting without having to have a vehicle hooked up. Just a little plastic toolbox couple signal light flashers little fuse box and switches. Maybe 15 bucks in parts, saves a lot of hassle. Hooks up to a battery. Funny thing was I used it on his trailer to install new lights. plugged the trailer into his truck before he left and got him to try it and he had blown a fuse while playing around with the old lights glad I got him a check before he left lol. Newer truck so even smaller micro fuses.
Very useful piece of equipment. Do you happen to have a schematic for the wiring of this gem? Would sure like to build one. Could probably figure it out but be easier if you have that part done already.

Mine has the large standard truck connector with brakes. I quit using those flat 4 pin connectors 20 years ago. Keep the truck receptical plugged with a piece of round foam to keep the moisture and dirt out. No trouble at the connector, it is from there on back on a NTM trailer that the wiring had been neglected. Have to splice in a piece that is missing under the middle between the wheels this morning and should have it.

My tester uses the seven pin but I have a 4 to 7 pin adapter to test 4 pin system. I like being able to turn on a signal light & brakes on the opposite side at the same time. It helps when chasing a bad ground. With the tester you can turn on what ever you want & walk around the trailer to check.

That is what I was thinking too Jason. Can control which ever light(s) you want. This trailer don't have any lights other than the standard tail stop/turn signals lights. My add a couple on the leading edge of the fenders but living on gravel road not sure how long they would last. First rock threw up by the tire it would be destroyed. Be alot of work to put a rack grill in front of them. Never did loose on on my big trailer though.

This Chev. PU I have now has a feature I wish all vehicles had. Start the truck and on the screen there's an option to test the trailer lights. Poke it and walk to the back of the trailer. The truck will cycle all the trailer light functions while your watching. Keeps cycling them until you stop it. I use it all the time.
I should check and see if it stops when the truck is put in gear. If not it would be a neat feature to drive tailgaters nuts.

Believe that option along with several other is only available on the High country trim package. The LTZ and lower trim packages don't get that option. Wish mine would have had the back up cam and navigation system in it but it don't so have to go the add on route. Does your have the Ecotech engine or standard V8? I am getting used to the drop down to V4 feature. Have to drive a bit different but it gets the mpg up a bit. Mine is at 18.6 last tank full of interstate driving.

This Chev. PU I have now has a feature I wish all vehicles had. Start the truck and on the screen there's an option to test the trailer lights. Poke it and walk to the back of the trailer. The truck will cycle all the trailer light functions while your watching. Keeps cycling them until you stop it. I use it all the time.
I should check and see if it stops when the truck is put in gear. If not it would be a neat feature to drive tailgaters nuts.
Hey Chris I have that trailer light option on our Jeep but you don’t have to poke it. You just walk around and yell then she yells back. :D

The LTZ and lower trim packages don't get that option.
Mine is a 2019 Silverado LT. It does have the back up camera and heated seats but no fancy appearance options. No GPS either but I put a phone holder in and use the phone for GPS. It does have the hands free calling which I like. I bought it used with 35K miles during the China Flue thing. Had to take what you could get at that time.

That is the way I was on this one. The LTZ is about impossible to find in these parts. Did find one 3K cheaper that had collision damage repaired and reinspected but was 2 wheel drive. Wasn't about to hold out for a couple options. Cheap scapes don't even put the trailer brake socket in any more. Have to hard wire them in.

That is the way I was on this one. The LTZ is about impossible to find in these parts. Did find one 3K cheaper that had collision damage repaired and reinspected but was 2 wheel drive. Wasn't about to hold out for a couple options. Cheap scapes don't even put the trailer brake socket in any more. Have to hard wire them in.
A lot of early 2000 and up vehicles may not have the tow option but are wired for it. You have to look up underneath on your wiring harness in the rear. There is a factory sealed plug. The pig tail wire kit just plugs into that then you mount the trailer plug. It use to be a dealer part only but probably available as an aftermarket kit now.

Back