Troy built Super Tomahawk chipper.shredder.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
I bought this 1995 to finally chip up and shred shrub trimmings, Liked useing it so well started getting rid of the brush from cutting fire wood too. I am the 3d owner don't have any Idea how much was used by other owners. Fellow I bought it from used it for getting rid of trimmings from shrubs & fall leaves.

I replaced the 5 HP Tec. engine in 2017 because I kept haveing problem after problem with the Tec. engine.
The 6.5 HP Hemi Predator was a good choice for an engine. It very rarely slows diown no mater how much stuff I feed it.

But it is showing the age and work it has done in the past, the shredding grate is in ruff shape now. Yes you can buy replacements on Flea Bay but they want nearly as much as I paid for the machine.

Bought some steel bar stock, I am forming to reinforce both sides. Also some bar stock to go cross ways about every inch also to reinforce the screen.

If this reinforceing doesn't work I will bite the bullet and buy one from here and modify it to work for me. It is 100.00 plus less in cost than the Flea bay ones.

Al

Those are nice. I've got one of the earlier green ones I picked up with a supposedly bad engine and stuck a Briggs on it to use. Chipped up a bunch of small limbs from a pine tree real easy and shredded a huge pile of bark left over from splitting fire wood into mulch. Just wish it had the grate like yours, mines got one made out of about 8 bars so it doesn't work too good on leaves

I have one like it and have used it for about 20 years new. Lightly used when I bought it and only had the 3/8" screen. I bought the big screen from Troybuilt. I have turned the hammers over one time and have run a ton of material through it. From the damage to that acreen there has been a lot more then bush clippings and leaves run through it. Better look at the hammers as I would bet they are beat to crap too.

I have a newer version with a 8hp Briggs and it has a hitch so I can pull it with a tractor. First thing I learned is do not hold on to any of the small branches going in the big bin, it will pull you or your glove with it.

Al, find some 3/4" screen off a crushing plant. It's high carbon steel and you'll have to heat it to bend it but it will probably outlast you. A weed burner might heat it enough for the bend.
Mike

My chipper also came with the ladder grate.
1591175230715.png

Works well on wet leaves and grass.

I have looked at the hammers, removed the knifes and sharpened them.
Just where might one find 3/4 screen from a crushing plant?

Al

Not sure how large the holes go, but farm feed grinders have grates in which ours went up to at least 1/2". Possibly a feed mill might have old screens as large as 3/4".....just checked, and feed grinder screens go well past 1", so check with large feed mills.

A 1 inch screen would be nice. they were made that big but are relly rare and cost a kings ransom.

Al

Am sure 1" is what mine is. Was around $75 many years ago when I got it. Land fill used to put all the wood in a separate pile and bring in a tub grinder to grind it up. They would load the material for you for mulch free but had a lot of big stuff in it. I got the 1" screen and run it through that which was a nice size for mulching flowers, trees, etc. Don't usually run anything over 3" and is mostly dead stuff so goes through fairly easy.

Back